Thread: Kelly Lane Lau-Schumacher (30) Chained 17 Year Old Runaway in Garage for 1 Year

Kelly Lane Lau-Schumacher (30) Chained 17 Year Old Runaway in Garage for 1 Year

A 17 year old boy ran out of a house in Tracy, California on Monday afternoon wearing only his boxer shorts and a length of chain that was padlocked to one ankle.  He ran into a fitness club and begged the people in there to hide him and keep him safe. The 17 year old has been missing from a Sacramento group home for 15 to 18 months. 

Kelly Lau-Schumacher, and her husband, Michael, are charged with torture, kidnapping, false imprisonment, child endangerment and corporal injury to a child.  Bond has been set at $1.185 million dollars each.  The 17 year old is not related to the Schumachers.  Police are also on the lookout for the teenager's aunt, Caren Ramirez.

Here is Kelly's MySpace page:  http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID =18132480

Her about me reads: 
    kelly's Blurbs
    About me:
    30 yr. old mom of 4 beautiful kids Shayna-9, Savannah-4, Damon-2 and Michael Jr. who just turned one.......Happily married to a man who I love to death. He is my best friend and a wonderful father to our 4 kids and I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world. We live in Northern California where I am a stay at home mom and my husband is a Contractor. We have a typical life I guess-our oldest daughter is involved with Girl Scouts and Savannah is our Ballerina in training. My boys just kick back and wait there turn to do something fun. We have a dog named BUBBA and no white picket fence but our neighbor has one. LOL!!!!!!

[size=12pt]Shackled boy's case puzzles Tracy cops, shocks neighbors
    By M.S. Enkoji and Niesha Lofing
    menkoji@sacbee.com
    Published: Wednesday, Dec. 03, 2008 | Page 1A

TRACY – Neighbors of a shackled 17-year-old boy tried on Tuesday to figure out how they missed so much for so long.

"It really upset me that this happened. You feel like you've been lied to," said Rachel Portillo, whose granddaughters had played with the teenager. "Why didn't we see something?" she said.

The boy, whose identity is being withheld by authorities, ran away from a Sacramento group home 15 to 18 months ago. He had been missing until Monday afternoon when he showed up seeking help at a Tracy health club, said Matt Robinson, a Tracy Police Department spokesman.

Chained at the ankle, covered in cuts and painfully gaunt, the trembling 17-year-old startled exercising clients at the In-Shape Sports health club when he ran in pleading, "Can you hide me? Can you hide me?"

After club employees called police, officers talked to the boy and later arrested Michael Luther Schumacher, 34, and Kelly Layne Lau, 30, of Tracy. They were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy, torture, kidnapping, child beating and false imprisonment.

The Tracy couple, who have four children of their own, are not related to the boy, Robinson said, andauthorities do not know how he got to their home, why he was there or if he was being held captive.

Authorities also are searching for a woman who is possibly the boy's aunt, Caren Ramirez, 43, of Sacramento. In addition to her alleged connection to the 17-year old, she is wanted on a probation violation in Sacramento County on felony child abuse charges.

"The key to this whole thing is the capture of Caren Ramirez," Robinson said. "Until we get her, it's just a giant jigsaw."

Ramirez was awarded custody of the boy in Sacramento County after the boy's father had lost custody, Robinson said.

Ramirez lost custody after she was arrested on felony abuse charges for incidents that began in 2005, Sacramento County court records show. She was accused of using some kind of weapon on two boys, who were 16 and 13 in 2007. In November 2007, Ramirez agreed to a five-year probation on the charges, but she failed to make court appearances and violated the probation. A warrant for her arrest was issued in April.

Police believe she has headed to relatives in East Palo Alto.

Neighbors of Schumacher and Lau said they saw Ramirez at the couple's Tracy home on Monday. She visited regularly, and some neighbors said they were told that Ramirez was the boy's mother.

Schumacher and Lau live in a sea of large, tract homes near a busy stretch of Tracy Boulevard where the In-Shape Sports club is located.

No one was home Tuesday at their two-story home that had two Christmas wreaths on the double front doors. The couple's children, ages 1, 3, 7 and 9, were turned over to child protection authorities, according to Robinson.

Some neighbors said they saw nothing but a normal household filled with garage sales, Girl Scouts, a stay-at-home mom.

Portillo, who often sent her granddaughters to the house after school to play with the younger children, said Lau had told her the teenage boy was visiting. Lau offered no explanation for why he wasn't in school.

The boy always appeared to be busy with chores, but he never expressed any plea for help, Portillo said.

Jennifer Foster, who lives on Tennis Lane, said her two young sons regularly played with the young children at the Schumacher house. The family told her that the teenager was just staying with them.

Foster's husband was inside the house in August to help fix the family's air conditioning. "He didn't see anything weird," Foster said.

"When you hear stories like this, you think, 'I can't believe this,' " she said. "When it's a family whose children have played with your children, it really hits home."

Chris Sandoval, 17, and his friend, Navid Sharifi, 17, said they were outside Monday afternoon on Tennis Lane when the boy apparently made a break, running down the street, then turning toward the health club.

The boy looked like he'd just gotten beat up, Sandoval said. He seemed disoriented and lost, unsure of where to go. Both boys said they noticed the chain around his ankle.

Barefoot and clad only in boxer briefs in the chilly fog, the boy made his way to the health club and burst inside. A towel that employees wrapped around him stuck to drying blood on his back. His hands trembled so badly he couldn't peel a banana someone gave him. He was covered in soot, beseeching employees: "Don't let them take me. Don't let them take me."

He looked like he was only 12, one employee said.

"I don't know how anyone could do this to a child," said Lea Leonardo, assistant general manager at In-Shape.

The boy is in stable condition at a Tracy hospital and is under guard, Robinson said.

"We've got security at the door so that he knows no one is going to get to him," he said. He will also get counseling.

The boy's ordeal moved police officers, who chipped in to buy a Nintendo DS game system for the boy, Robinson said.

"This case just got to them."

At the health club, where employees first tended to the boy, Leonardo said there were tears there, too.

"I did say a prayer last night, driving home," she said, "that any child in that situation, to have the courage to escape and for God to take care of them until they do."
    [/size]

Newspaper article:  http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1444414.html

Grrrrrrrrrr        I hate people who treat children like this. 

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Re: Kelly Lane Lau-Schumacher (30) Chained 17 Year Old Runaway in Garage for 1 Year

Funny she didn't mention her 17 year old slave in her Utopian recap of her existence...
    <br />The best thing happened. A guy was butchering Conway Twitty at Karaoke and the power went off in the bar. Someone shouted you pissed Jesus off when you messed with Conway!

Re: Kelly Lane Lau-Schumacher (30) Chained 17 Year Old Runaway in Garage for 1 Year

What the hell?

I saw this on the news...fuckin insane...
    You remember me as Sheilamadrie......Add me as a friend on myspace so you can talk shit about me on my page when I die..

I saw this whilst reading another news article about someone else on MDS and was going to post it. I totally forgot, I am easily distracted. Thanks for posting it Nestle.

I think this is going to be an interesting one once all the facts start to appear.
    At least he doesn't appear to have Stockholm Syndrome.

Poor kid, I bet he thought he'd never get away from those fuckers.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

It said one of the neighbors saw him and he didn't appear to be in an unusual situation...but what I don't get is if he was lookin somewhat normal for awhile wtf changed that to where they were starving him and beating the hell out of him?

You remember me as Sheilamadrie......Add me as a friend on myspace so you can talk shit about me on my page when I die..

Re: Kelly Lane Lau-Schumacher (30) Chained 17 Year Old Runaway in Garage for 1 Y

Wow, some kids are really not given a fair hand in life.&nbsp; First taken away from his parents for abuse, then placed in foster care, the placed with aunt, abused, ran away, ended up with this couple and tortured.

I really do hope everyone involved gets penalized to the max.&nbsp;

On another note, I do hope this boy gets proper counseling.&nbsp; I'd hate to see him grow up and end up doing the same to his kids that was done to him.&nbsp;

Re: Kelly Lane Lau-Schumacher (30) Chained 17 Year Old Runaway in Garage for 1 Y

[quote author=LilDevil link=topic=17512.msg1102722#msg1102722 date=1228321686]
    Wow, some kids are really not given a fair hand in life.&nbsp; First taken away from his parents for abuse, then placed in foster care, the placed with aunt, abused, ran away, ended up with this couple and tortured.

I really do hope everyone involved gets penalized to the max.&nbsp;

On another note, I do hope this boy gets proper counseling.&nbsp; I'd hate to see him grow up and end up doing the same to his kids that was done to him.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Yeah the therapy part is imperative....I always hope that kids that have to endure this shit end up as activists..and not abusers themselves. Or killing themselves.

ugh that bitch deleted her account.... grrr

[quote author=Demented Doll link=topic=17512.msg1103641#msg1103641 date=1228361466]
    ugh that bitch deleted her account.... grrr
    [/quote]

I saved a cache of her MySpace to my hard drive last night; but I found an identical one online.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:s62IWkw8PS0J:profile.myspace.com/index.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3Duser.viewProfile%26friend ID%3D18132480+http://www.myspace.com/kablprincess&amp;hl=en&amp;ct=clnk&amp;cd=1&amp;gl =us

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Fan of the Underdog kateisgr3at's Avatar

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=17512.msg1104047#msg1104047 date=1228392612]
    I saved a cache of her MySpace to my hard drive last night; but I found an identical one online.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:s62IWkw8PS0J:profile.myspace.com/index.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3Duser.viewProfile%26friend ID%3D18132480+http://www.myspace.com/kablprincess&amp;hl=en&amp;ct=clnk&amp;cd=1&amp;gl =us
    [/quote]

That link shows an invalid friend id as well.

I feel sorry for her kids! I wonder if they knew what their parents were doing to him.&nbsp; I'd also like to know who the parents told them the boy was...I am sure they were/are really confused.
    Balls.

Fucked up.
    I don't understand...they just beat him...? When I saw the thread title, I expected that he was sexually abused. I'm surprised about that, actually. Either way, fucked up!

updates

http://tracypress.com/content/view/17421/2268/
    http://www.modbee.com/local/story/622924.html

interview w/Kelly Layne Lau
    http://webblog.abc7news.com/2008/12/the-exclusive-i.html

[quote author=snowfallsoon link=topic=17512.msg1221103#msg1221103 date=1237630898]
    updates

http://tracypress.com/content/view/17421/2268/
    http://www.modbee.com/local/story/622924.html

interview w/Kelly Layne Lau
    http://webblog.abc7news.com/2008/12/the-exclusive-i.html

[/quote]

Wait, why is the neighbor also being charged? I didn't hear anything about the neighbor being involved until that article and it doesn't really say much about it. Or did I miss something?&nbsp; :?
    Oh nooooooo your tires all flat and junk.

Here's a link about the neighbor, I don't think he was arrested until Dec.
    http://cbs13.com/local/fourth.suspect.arrested.2.883828.html

Thread Information