Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brianna Lopez (5 months) died after she was beaten and sexually abused by her fa

Brianna Lopez (5 months) died after she was beaten and sexually abused by her fa

This is my first post so I hope i have followed the rules and did it right. I saw this when reading about another abused child and clicked a link and then another and ended up finding this. It breaks my heart.

Babys autopsy reveals signs of long-term abuse
    By Rene Ruelas
    Sun-News

The autopsy of 5-month-old Brianna Lopez revealed she had suffered abuse most of her short life in what deputies say is one of the worst cases of child abuse they have ever seen.
    Her parents are among those charged with her death.
    Brianna was pronounced dead Friday morning at Memorial Medical Center after she was rushed there when attempts to revive her failed, Doa Ana County Sheriffs Sgt. Ed Miranda said.
    Friday night, police arrested Briannas parents, Stephanie Lopez, 19, and Andy Walters, 21, and uncle, Steven Lopez, 19. They each are charged with child abuse resulting in death. Walters also was charged with criminal sexual penetration of the baby.
    Deputies have now interviewed the six adults and two children who lived in the home with Brianna. Miranda said the family is being cooperative.
    The autopsy revealed a long list of injuries that appeared to have been inflicted over an extended period of time upon the little girl who was born on Valentines Day.
    On Monday, Miranda detailed the multiple injuries found on the babys body. He said Brianna had 11 human bite marks in varied stages of healing, multiple bruises, fractures to two right ribs, three skull fractures, swelling of the brain and signs of shaken baby syndrome. Brianna also had fractures to both legs, an injury experts say is commonly caused by picking up the child with a quick, jerking motion by the legs.
    Investigators will obtain dental impressions to determine who made the bite marks.
    In court records, Walters admitted to biting Brianna, but said he "did not take a chunk out of her." Walters said his 18-month-old son also bit the baby. He said that Stephanie Lopez also bit and pinched her when she became frustrated with Brianna.
    According to Miranda, Walters and Steven Lopez were drinking beer Thursday night when they began to toss Brianna into the air, hitting her head on the ceiling and at least twice failing to catch her before she hit the floor.
    Stephen Lopez told investigators that he had drunk 10 beers from a case that Walters admitted buying.
    Stephanie Lopez said she had about three beers, then fell asleep. The next morning, she told investigators, she found Brianna on the floor and was unable to wake her.
    Walters said when Stephanie Lopez asked what happened to Brianna, he told her "we played a little rough with her last night."
    Miranda said additional charges will be filed.
    "There are definite signs of neglect and failure to protect," he said.
    The three defendants were arraigned Monday, and bond was set at $250,000 each, Miranda said.
    Miranda said it is the worst case of child abuse he has seen in his law enforcement career.
    "Brianna has been the most severe," Miranda said. "This is a difficult case that is complex to work."
    The investigation and what it has revealed has been emotional for the officers working on the case. Miranda said counselors were brought in Monday night to help them deal with the case.
    "When you have parents hurting children, you have a lot of emotions," Miranda said.
    Sheriffs records show no child abuse reports made at the home. Miranda said there have been domestic disturbance calls, but none involving children.
    The two other children, Briannas 18-month-old brother and 8-year-old uncle, are in protective custody. Miranda said the children have no visible signs of neglect or abuse.
    Miranda said while law enforcement, medical personnel and teachers are required to report suspected child abuse, it is the communitys duty to do the same.

Timeline of events according to police documents

Thursday night, July 18th, at 6 p.m., Andy Walters stopped to buy a case of beer, and headed home to 5243 Comanche Trail in Las Cruces.

Three people-- Walters, 21, Stephanie Lopez, 19, and her twin brother Steven Lopez, 19, drink through the evening.

Stephanie went to bed after about three beers. According to court documents, Andy Walters and Steven Lopez admitted to playing with Stephanie and Walters's 5-month old daughter, Brianna.

Police records show that Walters and Lopez threw the child into the air, causing her to hit her head on the ceiling 3 times, then dropped her twice on the floor.

Andy Walters told investigators that Brianna was conscious and crying.

At around 12:30 a.m., Friday morning, Andy Walters fell asleep not knowing where Brianna was.

At three in the morning, Walters says he awoke to find Brianna on the floor near the bed. He said he wrapped her in a blanket and put her in a bouncer.

By 7 a.m., Brianna needed a diaper change. Stephanie Lopez asked about the bruises on Brianna, and according to court documents, Walters admitted that he and Steven Lopez "played a little rough with her".

Walters changed the diaper and took a baby wipe, wrapped it around his index finger and inserted it into brianna's anus.

The complaint also states Andy Walters admitted he bit Brianna on several occasions, but he told Dona Ana County Sheriff's Deputies he is not not the only family member to bite Brianna.

Walters also told authorites that Stephanie Lopez pinched and threw Brianna out of frustration.

The uncle, Steven Lopez, admits to throwing Brianna in the air and not catching her. Steven Lopez claims to have drunk ten beers the previous night.

During his interview with Sheriff's Deputies, Steven Lopez admitted to having sex with Brianna Lopez. (she was 5 months old!!!) Adding that he, as well as Andy Walters, had penetrated Brianna on several different occasions.

By 10 a.m., July 19th, Stephanie Lopez checks on her daughter, notices Brianna is not breathing, and she calls 9-1-1.

11:10 am, Friday July 19th, five month old Brianna Lopez dies at Memorial Medical Center in Las Cruces.

Autopsy results show Brianna Lopez had 11 bite marks on her body, broken ribs, skull fractures, bleeding of the optic nerves and brain swelling.

I tried tracking down a picture of Brianna to post, but apparently (according to a few articles) there are none...in the 5 months this poor baby girl was with us, no one even cared enough to take her picture.
    Kelsey, please take extra special care of this little one. She never had warm arms to snuggle in, so make sure she gets some extra time in Jesus's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkSN65cJKOE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...and a little child shall lead them.

People hate in others what they lack in themselves.

Re: Brianna Lopez (5 months) died after she was beaten and sexually abused by her fa

this is probably the worst thing I have ever even heard of happening to that poor little baby, her whole life...and it was all so messed up.  but for some reason the part that made me break down in tears was the part where they said there was not one picture taken of this poor little baby alive.  not one.  she never knew love. 

Re: Brianna Lopez (5 months) died after she was beaten and sexually abused by her fa

[quote author=Natasha_XO link=topic=16765.msg1045516#msg1045516 date=1224397488]
    this is probably the worst thing I have ever even heard of happening to that poor little baby, her whole life...and it was all so messed up.  but for some reason the part that made me break down in tears was the part where they said there was not one picture taken of this poor little baby alive.  not one.  she never knew love. 
    [/quote]

When I read this, Natasha - you and Peavey were the first mommas I thought of...I guess it is all the pics of Millie and Sam that you have shared with all of us here on MDS.  Brianna didn't have ONE picture.  Why couldn't she have had a mommy to love her?    I just can't comprehend why things like this happen in our world.

I am glad the laws are changed in New Mexico now. 

I am also glad I have never been face-to-face with any of her torturers.  The sad part is - if I killed one of them, I would spend a lot more time in jail than they did for torturing and killing Brianna even though I would deserve a medal.

They are beyond the scum of the earth.    I would not spit on them if they were on fire.

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

I don't understand how people could do this to a baby or to anyone for that matter  :x How does a grown man get turned on by a baby?!!!    In my opinion all these scumbags deserve to die.

RIP Brianna you deserved so much more 

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=16765.msg1045536#msg1045536 date=1224398376]
    When I read this, Natasha - you and Peavey were the first mommas I thought of...I guess it is all the pics of Millie and Sam that you have shared with all of us here on MDS.  Brianna didn't have ONE picture.  Why couldn't she have had a mommy to love her?    I just can't comprehend why things like this happen in our world.

I am glad the laws are changed in New Mexico now. 

I am also glad I have never been face-to-face with any of her torturers.  The sad part is - if I killed one of them, I would spend a lot more time in jail than they did for torturing and killing Brianna even though I would deserve a medal.

They are beyond the scum of the earth.    I would not spit on them if they were on fire.

[/quote]

I know.   
    God, sometimes it's just too much.  I can't even imagine being in the same room as these fucks and not strangling them.  And the grandma deserves life too in my opinion. 

I'm not trying to get all Internet Tough Guy, but in all honesty, I would kick the fucking shit out of these people.

First - what kind of mother doesn't take ANY pictures of her baby?! In FIVE months!?!?

Worse - What the FUCK is with throwing a BABY in the air and hitting her head...MULTIPLE TIMES!? And dropping her MORE THAN ONCE!?!?!?

I'm so pissed off I can barely think right now. Jesus fucking Christ. These people didn't deserve that baby. How did NONE of these people think twice about this?

And what kind of monster bites and pinches an infant? A little kid, I can understand. But a fucking ADULT.

And the sexual abuse. The mind BOGGLES.

These people didn't see her as a human. They saw her as a rag doll, from the sound of it. Disgusting.

DIEEEEEEEEEEE motherfuckers. DIE. I'd consider it an HONOR to be the one who euthanizes them, and I don't even support the death penalty.

.. This is by far the saddest post i've read. I can not believe this!! And no one else in the house reported anything...uhg. This world is full of sick sick people. Poor Beautiful Brianna..my heart breaks for her. As far as her parents...words will never express the hatred I feel...May God never have mercy on their useless peccant souls..     I wish the system had a torture both...nothing they get will be as bad as what Brianna went through... :x

[quote author=Mswickidkittie link=topic=16765.msg1045569#msg1045569 date=1224400413]
    .. This is by far the saddest post i've read. I can not believe this!! And no one else in the house reported anything...uhg. This world is full of sick sick people. Poor Beautiful Brianna..my heart breaks for her. As far as her parents...words will never express the hatred I feel...May God never have mercy on their useless peccant souls..     I wish the system had a torture both...nothing they get will be as bad as what Brianna went through... :x
    [/quote]

Some Updates:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Five relatives of a 5-month-old girl who died after being bitten, battered and sexually assaulted were convicted of child abuse in an emotional trial.

"Every dead baby moves us," District Attorney Susana Martinez said after taking a moment to compose herself following the verdict. "This happened to be more brutal than the others."

Brianna Lopez was not breathing when paramedics arrived at her home July 19, 2002, and she was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Experts testified during trial that her injuries included more than a dozen human bite marks, and bruises – mostly on her head and face – ranging in color from deep purple to yellow. The baby also had fractured ribs and skull, and her genitals were injured.

A state crime analyst testified that a blood spot found on underwear belonging to Brianna's father, 22-year-old Andy Walters, matched Brianna's DNA.

On Friday, Walters and the baby's maternal uncle, 20-year-old Steven Lopez, were each convicted of criminal sexual penetration, child abuse resulting in death and related charges.

The baby's mother, Stephanie Lopez, 20, was convicted of negligent child abuse resulting in death and a lesser abuse charge. She was found innocent of intentional child abuse.

Brianna's paternal grandmother, Patricia Walters, and uncle Robert Walters were convicted of not reporting the abuse.

The five shared a three-bedroom mobile home near Las Cruces in southern New Mexico at the time of Brianna's death.

Defense attorneys said they would appeal.

"We want to get an appeal so Stephanie Lopez can be tried just by herself as she should of been," her lawyer, Stephen Ryan said. "She will be acquitted."

Stephanie Lopez has said she drank three beers and went to sleep the night her daughter died. She said she never heard the baby cry, and woke up to find her cold and unresponsive.

Gary Mitchell, who defended Andy Walters, said the mass prosecution was an injustice.

The case shocked residents in Las Cruces, and the trial was moved to Albuquerque because of the publicity. The jury deliberated about nine hours before reaching the verdicts.

Stephanie Lopez could be sentenced to as much as 21 years in prison. Andy Walters and Steven Lopez could get 51 years and 45 years respectiv

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) - The convictions of three family members sentenced to prison for the death of a 5-month-old Las Cruces girl have been overturned by the state Court of Appeals, and separate trials have been ordered.

The ruling comes six months after a panel of judges heard oral arguments in the case during a special hearing in Las Cruces. The judges found that the defendants' constitutional right to confront and cross examine their accusers was violated when the three were tried together for the 2002 death of Brianna Lopez.

Appellate Judge Michael Vigil, who wrote the opinion with the agreement of Judges Lynn Pickard and Celia Foy Castillo, said the panel could not conclude that the constitutional violation "was harmless beyond a reasonable doubt."

"Punishment for even the most heinous crime can only be imposed following a trial which complies with due process that is mandated by our constitution," Vigil wrote.

The state attorney general's office plans to ask the New Mexico Supreme Court to review the ruling.

"We are disappointed by the Court of Appeals decision in the Baby Brianna case," Attorney General Patricia Madrid said Thursday. "This is a horrendous case. The tragic killing of this baby has grieved an entire community."

The child died July 19, 2002, of cranial cerebral injuries "due to the fact that she was a battered baby," the ruling states. Her injuries included two skull fractures, two broken ribs and human bite marks on her face, neck and body. She was also sexually assaulted.

The child's father, 24-year-old Andy Walters, was convicted on several counts, including child abuse resulting in death and criminal sexual penetration of a minor. He was sentenced to 57 years in prison.

Her uncle, 22-year-old Steven Lopez, was sentenced to 51 years after being convicted of child abuse resulting in death and criminal sexual penetration of a minor.

Her mother, 22-year-old Stephanie Lopez, was convicted of negligent child abuse resulting in death. She was sentenced to 27 years in prison.

A grandmother and another uncle were convicted of failing to report child abuse. They did not join the other three in appealing their convictions.

The appellate court ruling, if allowed to stand, has the potential to lead to new trials. District Attorney Susana Martinez said that, prior to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 2004 that clarified the rules on trying multiple defendants, the same tactics used against Baby Brianna's accused killers were used in countless cases.

"Are we supposed to take every case and apply it now?" she asked. "That would make practicing law nearly impossible. You cannot prosecute a case or play a game of sport and expect that victory or conviction to be overturned because the rules changed."

Attorneys for the defendants could not be reached for comment.

___

Information from: Las Cruces Sun-News, Albuquerque Journal

The family of a baby killed in a child abuse incident will not allow a headstone to be placed on her grave, even though the Las Cruces community raised money to get one.

The parents and an uncle of 5-month-old Brianna Lopez are now behind bars for various charges related to her death. All three were convicted of child abuse resulting in death, among other charges.

One of Brianna’s grandparents picked up her body and buried it in Doña Ana County. Her grave has no headstone.

“It’s been said they don’t want a gravestone and if it is placed here they want it torn down,” said Las Cruces resident Edgar Lopez. “They don’t want anything indicating where the child is buried.”

Some in the community are worried that with no headstone or public showing of support, Brianna’s horrific case might go unnoticed.

“If the parents don’t allow us to do that fine, but I can tell you a memorial will be set up somewhere for baby Brianna,” said Lopez. “It may not be at her gravesite but it will be in the community.”

Las Cruces residents could fight the Lopez family to get their family’s rights revoked. If that happens, a headstone would be allowed on Brianna’s grave

Jesus.

Treat the baby like shit, take no photos of her, never show her love, kill her, then refuse to put up a headstone.

THEN, threaten to tear down any headstone that is placed there.

I so want to do something. 

wow.  just wow.  I hate the world sometimes. 

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia

I'm so disgusted. I don't even have words to explain what I'm feeling right now. Argh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

Wow as if the story wasn't bad enough, but now they refuse to put up a headstone?

WTF did this child do them to warrant such hostility and hatred? Like, really, the child  isn't even worth a simple headstone?

God something is wrong with these people.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Why did I read this? And furthermore, why is this not national news? How the fuck is Nancy Grace or Anderson Cooper not all over this disgusting example of inhumane people? To use the word "people" doesn't even sit right with me. They were monsters god awful monsters of the worst sort.

Fuck me. My brain is just going to explode, right along side of my heart. A 5 month old baby, raped?!! And wtf is up with them not being able to face their accusers?! Ummmmm..... evidence is their accusers. 5months old? FUCK FUCK FUCK. Man, there is some sick fucking shit in this world, but a damn infant, raped? That is the part I can't get over. I have read about infants being shaken or neglected, but this. my shit, I can't even begin to fathom it in the least. 

I remember when that video came out last year, I think... of the 3yr old being sexually assaulted, I threw up. This goes so far beyond that. My head is spinning, my gut is wrenching. Oh fuck. Poor baby. What kind of fucked up, inbred, retarded, sick, sick, sick, fucking family could these people come from. If I was any one of their mothers, I'd be shooting myself right now.

FUCKING FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING FUCKS.

Nothing that happens to you will come close to equating the despicable and incomprehensible way you behaved.

My only hope is that I find out, all of you were so retarded you didn't possess the capacity to understand your utmost cruelty.

RIP you poor baby girl.

I knew there had to be some sort of myspace for the girl...someone should submit her.

I have never ever read something that upset me so much. I think it was the pictures that they showed. Made it real instead of just a story.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =399714228

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =407836616

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =394763878

I can not even find the words to express the disgust and sadness this article has left me with.

Baby rapers should be staked out over a Fire Ant hill and be slowly stabbed to death with toothpicks.
    Even that would be too kind.
    <br />The best thing happened. A guy was butchering Conway Twitty at Karaoke and the power went off in the bar. Someone shouted you pissed Jesus off when you messed with Conway!

I literally want to douse these douches with gasoline and light the match myself.
    <br /><br />I want to go to Heaven for the weather and Hell for the company.

[quote author=Natasha_XO link=topic=16765.msg1045516#msg1045516 date=1224397488]
    this is probably the worst thing I have ever even heard of happening to that poor little baby, her whole life...and it was all so messed up.&nbsp; but for some reason the part that made me break down in tears was the part where they said there was not one picture taken of this poor little baby alive.&nbsp; not one.&nbsp; she never knew love.&nbsp; &nbsp;
    [/quote]

I wanted to help create a useable picture to show how she would have looked like had she not been so horribly abused.
    Please be kind. It was a small picture and she had been hurt so much.
    RIP Baby Brianna

thank you tawn. she was beautiful.

That just made it so much more sad. Thanks though Tawn because at least now there is a sweet picture of her out there.

I really don't know what to say. I don't think anything I can say would adequately encompass the amount of disbelief I have that something like this could happen. And I doubt I could think of any punishment that would be proportionate to the world of horror they forced upon this young child.

I just don't know.&nbsp; :|
    Congratulations. You've found the secret MDS signature. Please send your answers to "Old Blue", care of the funny farm, Chalford...

OH Fuck wha tis wrong with people...............i have no words to describe the rage I feel right now.

The family put up a FUCKING CAGE around her grave?!

This poor baby can't even get the respect she deserves in death.

Fuck these people.&nbsp; I'm speechless.

I am pretty sure I remember this being all over the national news when it happened, she died in 2002.

&quot;Five-month-old Brianna Lopez died on July 19, 2002, after a night of horrific abuse. The baby's father, Andrew Walters, and uncle, Steven Lopez, were convicted in September 2003 of rape and child abuse resulting in death, and the baby's mother, Stephanie Lopez, was found guilty of negiligent child abuse resulting in death.&quot;

RIP Little one.&nbsp;

I hope these people get what is coming to them.&nbsp; Atleast it only last for five months.&nbsp; God could you picture how much more this baby could of suffered had she lived.

Sick just plain Sick.&nbsp;

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

Thread Information