Thread: Maisy Odjick missing 5th September 2008

Maisy Odjick missing 5th September 2008

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid =392550303

MAISY ODJICK, age 16, of Kitigan Zibi First Nation, Quebec, has been missing since September 5, 2008 from the Maniwaki Quebec area.

Maisy has brown eyes and black hair. She has a pierced left nostril and two piercings on her bottom lip.

Maisy is believed to be with her friend Shannon Alexander, who has also been missing since September 5, 2008.

If you have any information about the whereabouts of Maisy please contact Sûreté du Québec at 819-310-4141, or the Kitigan Zibi Police Deptartment at 819-449-6000.

http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/serving_ottawa/major_crime/missing_main.cfm

Her friend Shannon Alexander is above her on list but i can't find her myspace.

Re: Maisy Odjick missing 5th September 2008

SATURDAY JANUARY 24TH, 2009

A meeting was organized by Chief
    Whiteduck on Wednesday January 14th, 
    2009 to discuss the results of the search and
    the next steps of our planning.

The Search and Rescue Global 1 handed in
    a detailed report mainly stating that "The
    missing persons were neither located,nor
    significant clues to their whereabouts
    uncovered during the search."

According to the Kitigan Zibi Police, there
    have been no new reliable signs or clues
    regarding the missing girls.

We have decided to resume our search of
    the Kitigan Zibi area in the spring.  Chief
    Whiteduck will be working closely with the
    Search and Rescue Global 1 team to
    enhance the continuing search and to look at
    all avenues possible.

We are thankful for SAR Global 1 for their
    expertise and efforts and we look forward to
    their return in the Spring.

We are also thankful for Chief Whiteduck's
    continuous efforts and support.

http://www.findmaisyandshannon.com/

Case of missing Quebec teens highlights lax attitude to native disappearances

April 23, 2009 7:10 p.m.

MONTREAL - The mysterious disappearance of two teens from a northwestern Quebec town and the lack of exposure that has followed is symptomatic of a double standard toward missing native women, rights' advocates say.

The search will resume on May 2 for Maisy Odjick, 16, and Shannon Alexander, 17, best friends who have been missing for more than seven months.

A group of volunteer searchers will focus on an area in Maniwaki, Que., a small town about 140 kilometres north of Ottawa that borders the Kitigan Zibi First Nation reserve.

Laurie Odjick says not knowing what has happened to her daughter has been a nightmare.

"It's just not knowing, not knowing if she's still alive," she said in an interview Thursday.

"We have hope that she is still alive ... but we need closure either way."

Police initially believed the best friends had simply run away, but relatives of both girls insisted some other fate had befallen them because they left the apartment of Alexander's father with little more than the clothes on their back.

Odjick has had issues with the way police have investigated the case. Despite the time that has lapsed, she said police still seem to think the girls have run away.

"I don't think they have (changed their hypothesis) - I can count on one hand how many times the police officers have called me here at home," Odjick said.

"Every time they talk to me, they make that assumption - 'where do you think they went?"'

Native organizations said cases of missing native women are too often dismissed by police and ignored by mainstream media.

By the time a response comes, it's often too late, said Ellen Gabriel, president of Quebec Native Women.

A study by the Native Women's Association of Canada has documented 513 cases involving aboriginal women who have disappeared or been killed since 1980.

The majority - nearly 75 per cent - have gone unsolved.

"This is a situation that demands the public's attention," Gabriel said.

"We want to see police forces and judges and politicians to be as alarmed at this situation as we are."

Mainstream media are also complicit, often ignoring stories involving native women, she said.

"Laurie Odjick said there was no attention when her daughter and Shannon went missing," Gabriel said.

"But when Boomer the cat went missing the media had helicopters, there was all kinds of attention for the lion cub in the same community."

Odjick said it's hard not to compare her daughter's case with other high-profile disappearances and the difference in the way they have been treated.

In particular, she points to the case of Brandon Crisp, a 15-year-old from Barrie, Ont., who was also believed to have run away and who was found dead after widespread searches and heavy media attention.

"We had no search team, there was no media involved, there was nothing," Odjick said.

"When I made my plea for help, there was no one there. To me, we weren't important enough."

Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu, a Quebec victims' rights advocate, says a single police force - specialized to deal with such cases - should investigate all such disappearances in the province.

The fact two separate police forces - Kitigan Zibi police and Quebec provincial police - are investigating the case reveals a jurisdictional problem that has officers working at cross-purposes.

Police also did not heed the family's repeated pleas that the teens could not have run away.

"We find that's the case often, the hypothesis of the family doesn't match that of the police," Boisvenu said.

"Police need to listen more to what the family is telling them."

Odjick is still holding out hope her daughter's alive and says she will solve her daughter's disappearance

"Nothing was done for these girls," Odjick said.

"I know my daughter's rights were violated because she didn't get a proper investigation."

On the web: http://www.findmaisyandshannon.com/

http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/canad...disappearances

HURSDAY AUGUST 6, 2009

Today, it has been 11 months since Maisy and
    Shannon disappeared. The police have not updated
    the neither of the families on what is currently going
    on with this case. Even though there is no related
    activity at the present time, we need to continue to
    fight for these girls as they are STILL missing. Our
    continued goal is to have our story nationally told and
    thoroughly investigated.

MONDAY AUGUST 3, 2009

On August 29, 2009 there will be a golf tournament in
    Maniwaki,QC that is being held by the Algonquin
    Anishinabeg Nation Tribal Council. We will be
    fundraising during this tournament to raise monies for
    a billboard to be put on highway 105 in Kitigan Zibi,
    QC.

WEDNESDAY JULY 22, 2009

During the Assembly of First Nations National Chiefs
    Election, Pam Sickles (Shannon's grandmother), and I
    (Maisy's aunt), got a chance to talk about Maisy and
    Shannon. We raised awareness to the fact that they are still
    missing and we thanked the Assembly of First Nations for
    their help with publicizing the missing girls. We also thanked
    our community, the Kitigan Zibi Chief and Council, for all of
    their help.

http://findmaisyandshannon.com/

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...839/story.html

August 18, 2011
    OTTAWA — Police detectives investigating the 2008 disappearance of teenagers Maisy Odjick and Shannon Alexander from a reserve north of Ottawa are now analyzing links to a sex criminal who killed himself last month in a jail in Gatineau, Que., after writing a suicide note.
    The Ottawa Citizen has also learned that Jacques Barbier, 39, was a suspect in the case and had been questioned by detectives.
    Barbier lived about 10 kilometres from Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg First Nation, near Maniwaki, Que., where close friends Maisy, 16, and Shannon, 17, were last seen Sept. 6, 2008. His only known connection to the missing girls was through mutual friends and they did not socialize together.
    Barbier pleaded guilty to sex crimes against a 14-year-old girl in June and was sentenced to 10 months in jail and three years probation. He pleaded guilty to sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching.
    Barbier was found dead in his jail cell and a guard later recovered a suicide note, which was then sent to Quebec provincial police detectives working the missing girls case.
    The Algonquin reserve police at first assumed the girls simply ran away, even though they left everything behind at Maisy's home — including their wallets.
    For this reason an organized search wasn't held until after snow was already covering the ground in December 2008.
    There were also reported sightings in Ottawa and Kingston, Ont., but Quebec provincial police did not confirm the sightings in 2009 when they publicly revealed the runaway theory for the first time.
    Because of the reported sightings in Ontario, the Ontario Provincial Police and the Ottawa Police Department joined the investigation.
    Laurie Odjick has often felt lonely in the search for her daughter and she wonders if the investigation would have been more exhaustive if the missing girls hadn't been native.
    Unlike other missing-persons files, none of the police agencies in this case have offered a reward for information.
    "I still feel that we're doing this search on our own," Odjick said.
    An addictions counsellor and mother of three other children, Odjick forces herself to keep going.
    "It's sad but life still has to go on. I wish I could stop this world and go back to that moment in time and make things different but I can't. I have to go on with life, but not a day goes by that I don't think of her. She is in our thoughts and prayers but we are without her presence and we miss her," Odjick said.
    Odjick's mother was extremely close to her first-born granddaughter and still finds it hard to leave home for fear she'll miss "that phone call."
    "I'm still waiting for that phone call, too. It would give us some sort of closure," Odjick said.
    "The anniversary is coming up and that's the hardest day for us to get through."
    Odjick dismisses the runaway theory, saying that if it was true, her daughter would have called someone or at the very least logged on to the Internet, something Maisy did daily.
    Because of their age and the fact that they went missing at the same time, the disappearance of Maisy and Shannon has become one of the most high-profile missing persons cases in the country. Aboriginal communities say the disappearance of young native women has been a national disgrace and have been actively campaigning for more help with these cases.

http://www.findmaisyandshannon.com/

Maisy

Shannon

Best Friends

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

In 2012 raillies were held in Canada calling for action on the 600 aboriginal women murdered or missing since the 1960's. More than half the cases remain unsolved. Maisy's mum was a speaker at these rallies & was interviewed for an ichannel 4-part program highlighting the issues & Maisy's disappearance. This link takes you to the 4 videos. Maisy's story & interview with her mum are in the 1st video.

No matter how many times I see it happen I'm never any less bewildered when I hear of a kid's disappearance being ignored because of their race and/or socio-economic category (OR ANY OTHER REASON). I just. don't. GET IT??

http://www.ichannel.ca/tag/residential-schools/
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Thread Information