Thread: Frances Schee (13) semi driver who slammed into her bus was on cell phone

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Frances Schee (13) semi driver who slammed into her bus was on cell phone

MARION COUNTY, Fla. -- The driver of a semi that smashed into the back of a school bus admitted he was on his cell phone, according to Captain Gregory LaMont of the Florida Highway Patrol. Four students were in critical condition after the horrific bus crash claimed the life of 13-year-old Frances Schee on Tuesday afternoon.

Troopers said the 30-year-old truck driver, Reinaldo Gonzalez of Orlando, slammed into the back of the school bus while students were getting off. There were no skid marks, suggesting Gonzalez didn't use his brakes before impact. Gonzalez was hauling home improvement goods from Jacksonville to Lake County.

James Horton was an eyewitness to the crash on US-301 in Citra.

"I saw the bus stop and flashing lights on. Then the semi slammed into it with no hesitation and no stopping. It burst into flames," he said.

There were 21 students on the school bus when it crashed. Troopers said the deadly school bus crash could have been worse if not for a handful of heroes who helped save the children from the burning bus. Horton, along with three others, helped save the lives of some of those stuck inside bus.

"I stopped my truck, jumped out, ran over and helped get the kids off the bus," said Horton.

Alvin Tuggerson lives in Marion County and heard the deadly school bus crash.

"It sounded like the space center, like the space ship was coming in. You know how it makes that big 'boom boom boom,' that's what it sounded like. It's bad because my child gets off at the next stop up the road. It could have been anybody's child. I was shaken up," Tuggerson said.

The bus driver and eight students were injured. Frances Schee, 13, died. She was an eighth grade student at North Marion Middle School. Of the students injured, six were released and two remain hospitalized. Both drivers also were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

School officials said the bus stop signs were out and the bus lights were flashing.

"I've been here almost eight years and we deal with bus accidents on a regular basis but never, ever anything to this magnitude and we pray it never happens again," said Kevin Christian, a representative of Marion County Public Schools.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17540805/detail.html?treets=orlc&tml=orlc_break&ts= T&tmi=orlc_break_1_05010209232008

RIP young Frances 

Re: Frances Schee (13) semi driver who slammed into her bus was on cell phone

How do you not see a school bus? It's large, brightly colored, flashing lights. And he didn't even brake so apparently didn't see it at all.

This story made me think of this school bus crash in Florida.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182809,00.html

LAKE BUTLER, Fla. —  Seven children who had been adopted by a single family were killed Wednesday in a fiery crash when their car was crushed between a truck and a stopped school bus in rural northern Florida.

The children, ranging in age from 15 years to 21 months, were alone in the car, headed toward their home about two miles north of the crash site. The truck hit them from behind, pushing their car into the bus and causing the car to burst into flames, police said.

Sorry to jack your thread, Midnight. They were just kinda sort similar so it came to mind when I read your story.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Thread Information