Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PETA wants fish to be renamed "Sea Kittens"

PETA wants fish to be renamed "Sea Kittens"

A CAMPAIGN to rename fish as "sea kittens" in order to improve their image has been ridiculed by the Federal Opposition.
    Outspoken animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is using the "sea kitten" name as part of its push to restrict fishing.

"Nobody would hurt a sea kitten!" the group says on its website.

"People don't seem to like fish.

"We're going to start by retiring the old name for good.

"When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

The website features images of fish with cats' whiskers and ears.

PETA is using the campaign to entice people to sign a petition calling on the US Fish and Wildlife Service to stop promoting "the hunting of sea kittens (otherwise known as fishing)".

Opposition fisheries spokesman John Cobb was not impressed with the campaign, nor with PETA.

PETA has offended some in Australia with is high-profile campaign against mulesing, the practice of cutting away the skin from a sheep's rear to prevent flystrike.

Mr Cobb said the group had little credibility.

"It is hard to take an organisation which wants to change the name of fish seriously," he said.

Many people might laugh at the sea kitten campaign, Mr Cobb said, but PETA's agenda was actually more sinister: destroying the meat and fish industries.

PETA has convinced a number of large companies to boycott Australian wool which comes from mulesed flocks.

The group argues mulesing is cruel and there are better ways to prevent flystrike.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24891309-29277,00.html

:lol: :lol:  Seriously, peta? Ok, so lets start naming EVERYTHING after kittens... Then no one will eat anything!  Turtles can be Hard-shelled kittens, Killer whales can be Killer Kittens, Sharks can be Great White Kittens,  Cat fish could be Cat Kittens, Cows will be Spotted kittens,  Deer will be horny...Errr. Horned kittens. But wait.. What about the countries that EAT kittens... Crap, There's a whole new problem.  Oh... And what about cannibals?!?!?  Are humans now to be called  two legged kittens?... OHHHHH... Yeah, That's right. PETA doesn't care about people. Silly me :oops:

Honestly, I have nothing against PETA, or the preservation of animals... But if they don't want to be laughed at, maybe they should stop coming up with outlandish ideas.

If, by some freakish event, they could change the world and make everyone call fish 'Sea Kittens'... Nothing would change. Deep down, We would all know that they are FISH... They are Not furry, They are not cute, They do not go meow,  and they taste good (Actually, I don't eat fish.. So that last part is only true for some). 

"We're hunting sea kittens" doesn't sound like it would make less people fish, It sounds more exciting then actual fishing!

I refuse to follow this movement until PETA  personally staples little ears, whiskers, and a cat like tail to EVERY fish. Only then will i call them Sea Kittens. (or, maybe little miniature cat suits?)

Re: PETA wants fish to be renamed "Sea Kittens"

This is going to piss a lot of poeple off on both sides. We generally stay away from peta.

[quote author=ScrantonBranch link=topic=18092.msg1146072#msg1146072 date=1231589475]
    This is going to piss a lot of poeple off on both sides. We generally stay away from peta.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I kind of figured i ran that risk posting this....

For the record (again), I am not being critical of PETA as a whole.. As i think they do some good work. But even people who are members of PETA have to see the insanity of  attempting to rename an entire species, thinking it will make it less edible.

If any mods out there think this topic is too taboo, Feel free to lock it down. :lol:

Lol. Has nothing to do with mods. Just, well, let it go. Maybe it will be nothing.

[quote author=ScrantonBranch link=topic=18092.msg1146081#msg1146081 date=1231590555]
    Lol. Has nothing to do with mods. Just, well, let it go. Maybe it will be nothing.
    [/quote]

Oh, i know it doesn't... I just meant, that i was leaving it up to their infinite wisdom... If they think this will cause too many problems, I won't bitch if they delete it.

I have faith that people will be civil..... :lol:

Bah.  Peta brings out the worst in me.  I am passionate about animal welfare, and I just hate to see the money sucking glory hounds who do nothing good for animals convince suck up attention and money that could actually be helping animals in need.  Or heaven forbid even people in need.

But on topic PETA has been harassing Spearfish High School to change it's name to Sea Kitten High School... 
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

:lol: PETA does some good work I'm sure... but this is a little ridiculous  :lol:
    ask me questions damnit<br />http://www.formspring.me/bama

I'll have some sea kitten filet, with hush puppies please.

the color nine

What will the fresh water fish be called or does not the mighty PETA care about them.&nbsp;

Fuck Peta......&nbsp; &nbsp; I think they are a bunch of fanatics.

Penn and Teller said on their Bullshit Show that the lady who is a big wig in PETA uses insulin....&nbsp; when they asked her why it was ok for her to use insulin made from pigs raised and killed specifically for that, she said some had to make a sacrifice so that she could continue the fight ....or some such shit.&nbsp; I'm going off what they said so it may be highly dramatized.

I can see where killing bunnies to test cosmetics is wrong, and that some....maybe a lot of testing should be done without animals. But if we have to kill some monkeys to find cures for things like cancer, or aids....&nbsp; then tuff luck monkeys....

I'd kill a hundred damn monkeys or animals to save human life, I know some of you disagree, but that's just me.&nbsp; I've shot and killed animals, and I've witnessed a few dying people, and you can believe that animals are the same as or equal to people all you want, but they aren't. Animals die pretty peacefully, without being wracked by fear, regret, and drama. They instinctively know this is their place in the circle of life, and the food chain.

I had an old man I was watching die,(shitty hospice job) and he grabbed me and thought I was his son, he was apologizing for shit from years past.
    I've seen people die violently, after car crashes, crying, screaming and afraid...&nbsp; no.... a human death is far more tragic and soul wrenching.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about animals like dogs and cats. I know people get really attached to pets.... I'm talking about animals that were put on this earth... either by Divine will or evolution, solely to be eaten. Animals like fish, deer, pigs, horses, cattle, and sheep. These animals main function in life is to feed carnivores. Big cats, Wolves, sometimes bears,&nbsp; and people have all lived off these animals since they walked the earth. These animals contribute very little else to the world except for hide and meat. They eat and shit and reproduce, what do you think it would be like here if no one EVER ate them?

I don't care if people wear fur, as long as the species isn't in danger of extinction, and no problem at all if they are farm raised for that purpose, and don't affect the wild population at all. People have worn furs since forever.....&nbsp; see&nbsp; we have no hair....&nbsp; if our ancestors hadn't worn furs, as a species&nbsp; we would be extinct.&nbsp; Why people think it's better to make polyester fur,,,,that lasts 84745354378373356 years and never rots is beyond me.

[quote author=Mortis link=topic=18092.msg1146228#msg1146228 date=1231608693]
    Fuck Peta......&nbsp; &nbsp; I think they are a bunch of fanatics.

Penn and Teller said on their Bullshit Show that the lady who is a big wig in PETA uses insulin....&nbsp; when they asked her why it was ok for her to use insulin made from pigs raised and killed specifically for that, she said some had to make a sacrifice so that she could continue the fight ....or some such shit.&nbsp; I'm going off what they said so it may be highly dramatized.

[/quote]
    http://chalicechick.blogspot.com/2006/09/clarification-on-peta.html

Bravo Mortis +100
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

the color nine

We've already talked about this sea kitten business. I don't think there's a thread on it or anything. But it's completely retarded. Sea kittens. Die, peta.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

PETA does some good work, but I eat fish and they can call 'em anything they want and I'll still want my Friday night Sea Kitten Fry.&nbsp; I feel no guilt in that.

If I lion, shark or bear was hungry you better believe it wouldn't hesitate to eat me.&nbsp; I don't see the lions getting together and organizing a People for the Ethical Treatment of Humans organization.&nbsp;
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Fuck a PETA

I will still eat me some sea kitten.&nbsp; I will still go sea kittening.&nbsp; i dont care.&nbsp; animals are food.&nbsp; It would be nice to treat them nice while they are alive, but bottomline, they are ending up in mah bellie!
    If you dont eat animals.. yippee mo' meat fo' me, I totally respect your choice!

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=18092.msg1146346#msg1146346 date=1231615326]
    If you dont eat animals.. yippee mo' meat fo' me, I totally respect your choice!
    [/quote]Agree!&nbsp;
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I don't know what frustrates me more.
    People who don't recognize that campaigns like this are satirical and meant to bring attention to a certain issue, NOT a serious plea.
    Or the fact that PETA evidently thinks all press is good press, when clearly it's not.

[quote author=mowt link=topic=18092.msg1146726#msg1146726 date=1231635268]
    I don't know what frustrates me more.
    People who don't recognize that campaigns like this are satirical and meant to bring attention to a certain issue, NOT a serious plea.
    Or the fact that PETA evidently thinks all press is good press, when clearly it's not.

[/quote]

I'm fairly certain that everyone could come to the conclusion it's not serious on their own but even the word PETA is going to spark a debate.

[quote author=Bama Star link=topic=18092.msg1146782#msg1146782 date=1231638849]
    I'm fairly certain that everyone could come to the conclusion it's not serious on their own but even the word PETA is going to spark a debate.
    [/quote]The word PETA makes me want to kick a puppy...

Fan of the Underdog kateisgr3at's Avatar

[quote author=Mortis link=topic=18092.msg1146174#msg1146174 date=1231605538]
    I'll have some sea kitten filet, with hush puppies please.
    [/quote]

:lol: that made me laugh so hard!
    Balls.

[quote author=Bama Star link=topic=18092.msg1146782#msg1146782 date=1231638849]
    [/quote]

Seriously?&nbsp; From where I'm standing, it certainly seems like there are plenty-o-tards who think this is genuine.&nbsp; Just like the breast milk ice cream thing a few months back.
    Maybe people are just extra stupid where I live.

Geez mowt&nbsp; &nbsp;from where I'm standing it seems like you are taking satire for seriousness.

I'm one of the most outspoken anti peta people here...&nbsp;

I know you are vegan or vegetarian or something, but just because people disagree with your point of view, or make fun of an organization who has arguably, single-handedly&nbsp; done more to set back the cause of animal rights, and most certainly asks for ridicule.....&nbsp; &nbsp;does not make us retards.

[quote author=mowt link=topic=18092.msg1146825#msg1146825 date=1231643075]
    Seriously?&nbsp; From where I'm standing, it certainly seems like there are plenty-o-tards who think this is genuine.&nbsp; Just like the breast milk ice cream thing a few months back.
    Maybe people are just extra stupid where I live.
    [/quote]

Just sounded like you were coming in saying that the people that had commented were the &quot;plenty-o-tards&quot;.

:lol:

Fuck PETA and their retarded ideas.&nbsp; We likes to eats the cows, deers, bear and sea kittens.

[quote author=White trash bitchy blonde link=topic=18092.msg1146881#msg1146881 date=1231646414]
    :lol:

Fuck PETA and their retarded ideas.&nbsp; We likes to eats the cows, deers, bear and sea kittens.
    [/quote]

:lol: sea kittens are my favorite!!

Thread Information