Page 793 of 2163 FirstFirst ... 293 693 743 783 791 792 793 794 795 803 843 893 1293 1793 ... LastLast
Results 19,801 to 19,825 of 54055

Thread: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death

Quote Originally Posted by Justice11 View Post
    Oh yes...definitely her. I thought it was her from the start, but this almost proves it! LMBO

Eta, it's probably her birthday. APRIL 27th
    Googled it and this comes up first:

Re: I need help with an X - Groups - Yahoo!

groups.yahoo.com/group/LesbianCoffeeHouse/message/46409Share

Dec 16, 2010 ? From: Donavan Bering <emerson427@ yahoo. com> Subject: Re: [LesbianCoffeeHouse ] Re: I need help with an X To: LesbianCoffeeHouse@ yahoogroups.

LesbianCoffeeHouse : Message: Weather Woes ...‎ - Jun 25, 2010
    Re: [LesbianCoffeeHouse] New Member‎ - Jun 21, 2010

caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by tiggrrl72077 View Post

Yep Coffee and tea are still not allowed. Most mormons I know still avoid Coke like it has actual cocaine in it. But will drink most any other soda whether or not it has caffeine. Some are still very strict and wont drink ANYTHING with caffeine.
    Hi I'm a lurker and now am on the site. I spent time in Utah and did a LOT of reading on coffee vs. caffeine. When the laws were written the only caffeine there was is in hot drinks. Specifially they say 'no hot drinks'. I once entertained some mormon missionaries and they sat there and drank soda after soda and so much candy! Sweet people and yes, I was dating a Mormon. He was like Travis...not temple worthy. There is a lot of conflict in the church whether the hot drink of coffee with caffeine applies to sodas. I'll look for the actual scripture. It's hot drinks....not caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Hi I'm a lurker and now am on the site. I spent time in Utah and did a LOT of reading on coffee vs. caffeine. When the laws were written the only caffeine there was is in hot drinks. Specifially they say 'no hot drinks'. I once entertained some mormon missionaries and they sat there and drank soda after soda and so much candy! Sweet people and yes, I was dating a Mormon. He was like Travis...not temple worthy. There is a lot of conflict in the church whether the hot drink of coffee with caffeine applies to sodas. I'll look for the actual scripture. It's hot drinks....not caffeine.
    Yep, its hot drinks in the Word of Wisdom! The church has never come out officially against caffeine. The WoW also just says all things in moderation and to pursue good health - that's basically what it really comes down to is being a code for healthy living. They do clearly tell you not to drink coffee (not about the caffeine though as they say this for decaf too) and some say that is due to the tanic (sp?) acid and the addiction factor (my sister has tried getting off coffee for years and years, but admits she can no longer function in the mornings without it, lol!). But they have never said no to soda, and the church actually is a part owner of Pepsi Co. Tea is iffy. They have generally said that herbal teas are okay but to avoid others. I love the chai tea frap at Starbucks tho, so I'm down with that grey area!!! ;)

A caller on NG said JA is trying " the great anal defense" or some such. I LOL and startled our fish

Oh, and WELCOME!! It's fun to stop lurking and jump into the chaos!

the LDS church posted a statement on its website saying that "the church does not prohibit the use of caffeine" and that the faith's health-code reference to "hot drinks" "does not go beyond (tea and coffee)."

A day later, the website wording was slightly softened, saying only that "the church revelation spelling out health practices ... does not mention the use of caffeine."

The same goes for the church's two-volume handbook, which LDS leaders use to guide their congregations. It says plainly that "the only official interpretation of'hot drinks' ... in the Word of Wisdom is the statement made by early church leaders that the term' hot drinks' means tea and coffee."
    \

It was dictated in 1833 by Mormon founder Joseph Smith and bars consumption of wine, strong drinks (alcohol), tobacco and "hot drinks," which have been defined by church authorities as tea and coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseyDawn View Post
    Yes ma'am! I drive past it everyday coming home from work (our house is in Laveen and I work in central Phoenix). Today I realized, "hey, that's where Jodi is!" I may be flipping her off every weekday during the trial - especially while she is testifying since she is just infuriating me with her lies!
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

the LDS church posted a statement on its website saying that "the church does not prohibit the use of caffeine" and that the faith's health-code reference to "hot drinks" "does not go beyond (tea and coffee)."

A day later, the website wording was slightly softened, saying only that "the church revelation spelling out health practices ... does not mention the use of caffeine."

The same goes for the church's two-volume handbook, which LDS leaders use to guide their congregations. It says plainly that "the only official interpretation of'hot drinks' ... in the Word of Wisdom is the statement made by early church leaders that the term' hot drinks' means tea and coffee."
    \

It was dictated in 1833 by Mormon founder Joseph Smith and bars consumption of wine, strong drinks (alcohol), tobacco and "hot drinks," which have been defined by church authorities as tea and coffee.

Bravo!! Yep, I know there have been incidences where church leaders have said that they don't drink caffeine, and some people have chosen to believe that means its bad. But they have never officially released anything making that official - its just opinions really.

I haven't drank soda in 10 years, nor my husband. But its more for health purposes and cause we don't enjoy carbonation...it burns! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    I turn people in too. I WISH they reacted the same way here. Here it's like, "Ma'am? Ok Ma'am. We'll get right on it. Ma'am." The assholes here don't even crack a window for the dog. You just see the poor thing panting at the window.
    I don't know where you live but in AZ it's legal to break the window as long as you call the police and tell them. You don't have to wait until police arrive. I "almost" did it once, but it was a pittbull and I was scared, lol... ,

I took an English class with BYU, and one of the sample essays in my packet was about the no caffeine thing, and "no hot drinks". Apparently they sell food items on campus that have caffeine in them, although not beverages. All the Mormons I grew up with drank Cactus Cooler for soda, which is caffeine free. Though several of them drive regular soda as adults. Another funny sample essay was about the no beard policy.

Also, I will have to look it up again, but there is more to it than the scripture... There was a cultural reason they started practicing no caffeine and alcohol. I will try to find my reference for you, because its pretty interesting. It all has to do with Brigham Young and his control over early SLC. Building his empire. (My take)

Quote Originally Posted by ImBatman! View Post
    You know what I see is a kind of grab bag of issues with her...until yesterday (which I missed her testimony...boo) I didn't really know much about her life growing up...DISCLAIMER..I have not treated nor do I know Ms. Arias...but what I do see is a bit of a mixture. Sometimes I think she a total sociopath..then Ill get more info and I do tend to lean towards the Borderline Spectrum... I will actuall be able to observe her today on the stand. Again these are just my clinical observations..please don't smite or bash..thanks.
    Hey ImBatman! I have recently been maybe diagnosed as having BPD but I'd like you to shed light on the broad spectrum of the disease just like Autism can have many variations. I have been happy to see the character in the TV show have Bipolar disorder and be the first to show you won't be homeless or a raging killer. The same goes for BPD. I am not narcissitic. I am very thoughtful of others. I have triggers that set me off based on being abandoned by my dad and his family then getting raped by a maternal uncle at 14 and told...I WAS LYING!! To keep the harmony in the family. So I have a lot of abandonment issues. But I am in therapy and I have a journal for what causes a trigger for me to get very mad. I now think things through and say, is it real or my perception? I've written letters to my Dad saying he really screwed up. My boyfriend is dealing with it but when I heard on Jane Velez Mitchell them saying oh she's BPD they are notorious for no self control, no empathy, blah blah blah. My boyfriend joked with me asking 'oh are you going to slash my tires if we break up?" it is so unfair to lump this huge spectrum of a mental disorder into being automatically assumed I'm going to kill eventually. There are 4 types of BPD from what I have heard. Jodi sounds either sociopathic or the high end scale of BPD called Narcissitic BPD. They deny any problem. I don't deny but cringe when my mood disorder makes people around me say I'll be a murderer someday!!

Quote Originally Posted by So and So View Post
    I took an English class with BYU, and one of the sample essays in my packet was about the no caffeine thing, and "no hot drinks". Apparently they sell food items on campus that have caffeine in them, although not beverages. All the Mormons I grew up with drank Cactus Cooler for soda, which is caffeine free. Though several of them drive regular soda as adults. Another funny sample essay was about the no beard policy.

Also, I will have to look it up again, but there is more to it than the scripture... There was a cultural reason they started practicing no caffeine and alcohol. I will try to find my reference for you, because its pretty interesting. It all has to do with Brigham Young and his control over early SLC. Building his empire. (My take)
    I remember something about Joseph getting drunk in a back house and it pissed off his wife so even though he was a boozer...he changed his ways! Look into that!

This quote is off wiki, but I read about this in Ann Eliza Young's autobiography. I can't find the page, but she basically talked about how use of these substances was tolerated until the late 1850s, when the Reformation happened. To her description, it was all part of Brigham Young trying to have ultimate control over his church and its patrons. Regardless, there was a huge zealous uproar, and things got super strict, super fast.

Emphasized by Brigham Young
    After Smith's death, several factions emerged from the Latter Day Saint movement. The largest of these groups, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), was led by Brigham Young. At a general conference of the church held on September 9, 1851, Young called on the attendees to "leave off the use of" items mentioned in the Word of Wisdom:
    "The Patriarch [John Smith] again rose to speak on the Word of Wisdom, and urging on the brethren to leave off using tobacco, &c.
    President Young rose to put the motion and called on all the sisters who will leave off the use of tea, coffee, &c., to manifest it by raising the right hand; seconded and carried.
    And then put the following motion; calling on all the boys [sic] who were under ninety years of age who would covenant to leave off the use of tobacco, whisky, and all things mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, to manifest it in the same manner, which was carried unanimously."
    The Patriarch then said, may the Lord bless you and help you to keep all your covenants. Amen.
    President Young amongst other things said he knew the goodness of the people, and the Lord bears with our weakness; we must serve the Lord, and those who go with me will keep the Word of Wisdom, and if the High Priests, the Seventies, the Elders, and others will not serve the Lord, we will sever them from the Church. I will draw the line, and know who is for the Lord and who is not, and those who will not keep the Word of Wisdom, I will cut off from the Church; I throw out a challenge to all men and women. [34]
    Though Young encouraged Mormons to follow the Word of Wisdom code, the church was tolerant of those who did not follow it. In 1860, he counseled those chewing tobacco in church meetings to at least be discrete and not excessive, but did not charge users with sin.[35] By 1870, however, he ended the practice of chewing and spitting tobacco in the Salt Lake Tabernacle.[36]
    Young also recognized a separation between using tobacco (which was discouraged), and selling it to non-Mormons as a business (which was encouraged).[37] He also owned and maintained a bar in Salt Lake City for the sale of alcoholic beverages to non-Mormon travelers, on the theory that it was better for LDS Church authorities to run such establishments than for outsiders.[38]

I remember something about Joseph getting drunk in a back house and it pissed off his wife so even though he was a boozer...he changed his ways! Look into that!
    It's possible, but I've never heard it. However, it wasn't a "rule" until the word of wisdom. They used to frequently do chewing tobacco at church meetings, but that ceased with the WofW being created. So, it's likely that was prior to the "rule" being set. Its also possible that its not true - I've never heard either way but there are TONS of falsities that follow religious figures, and JS is no exception.

Ugh, I need to get off her and go to sleep. Later peeps!!

Quote Originally Posted by So and So View Post
    This quote is off wiki, but I read about this in Ann Eliza Young's autobiography. I can't find the page, but she basically talked about how use of these substances was tolerated until the late 1850s, when the Reformation happened. To her description, it was all part of Brigham Young trying to have ultimate control over his church and its patrons. Regardless, there was a huge zealous uproar, and things got super strict, super fast.

And then put the following motion; calling on all the boys [sic] who were under ninety years of age who would covenant to leave off the use of tobacco, whisky, and all things mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, to manifest it in the same manner, which was carried unanimously."
    does this mean you get to booze it up if you make it to 90?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Awesome research. I'll drink to that. ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    does this mean you get to booze it up if you make it to 90?
    Party on, old Mormons!!

Irish up my coffee, please!!

only if you're 90 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

i wanna be betty white when i'm 90

Agree,Read a few forums and this one is the best.Much more info.That's why I'm here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mydeathspace View Post
    Whoever told you that must be a member of that shitty forum. All they do is steal our info. It's filled with old school rejects and banned members of this forum. To call it a more serious forum is laughable.

one thing i don't get at all - when jodi is testifying and she gets upset and even starts to tear up - sorta - then the next question will be some thing like - where did you go next - and then she is all peppy like - oh then we were going to church, but i didn't have a dress and sky lent me one and we went in their car and travis sat shot gun and it was a really roomy car yada yada yada and starts giggling - how does some one just flip their emotions and voice inflections like that - if i get upset about something - even if i change subjects - i am still upset - even after the clysdale commercial during the suprbowl, i was still teary talking about plans w/ my dad - i just cannot not relate to any way she is acting - i don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
    While I agree hilarity and shenanigans abound, in all fairness we are doing what law enforcement and people in the "death business" do all the time... We make light of things with humor. Warped humor? Yes.
    Inappropriate, definitely. It's how you cope. The good people here are no different... If you couldn't about things, it would consume you.
    Couldn't "joke" about things, I meant. Sorry.

:angeldevil I never converted to Mormonism but I'd be 90 in dog years. So. Tequila shots for every lie she tells!

Thread Information