Page 103 of 2163 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 603 1103 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 54055

Thread: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death

Re: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death

Many of the Mormon I've met were pretty normal people on the surface.  Shiny maybe, but not all holier than thou, or mysterious.  I am in Florida though, so ours are pretty far from Utah.

I think most religion sounds worse, and stranger in the telling than the actual practice, and day to day life.
    What they do isn't any weirder to me than praying to statues, taking sacrament, or rolling on the floor speaking gibberish.
    The temple thing, meh, every religion needs goals to strive for, that's part of the reward system. The Catholics still make these guys look like amateurs when it comes to mysterious rituals.

I had this conception of Amish people that was way different than the reality was.

I have a question for one of the new LDS members.... it;s a history question, and maybe no answer.......

After Joseph Smith died, and Brigham Young took over..... how much did Young alter or change Church tenets over the course of the early years?
    Does the Young family still have a lot of say in the Church?    Thanks.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235749#msg1235749 date=1238729590]
    Ah ok, I see.

God is pretty vague isn't he? Why couldn't he just be very clear. I don't trust humans to decipher and assume. :lol:[/quote]

+1.That's  my  big soap-box.Til I find one with more lather,I guess..

....OT , but is it weird that I find Travis baptizing Jodi to be both kind of hot,and  completely tragic?

Is there supposed to be  special requirements for who baptizes someone into the faith? Catholics  name godparents at a baptism who are supposed to mentor the baby as it grows up, teach him/ her about their religion and set an example of how two Catholics behave.

Their usually two people the parents find to be "good Christians". It's considered an honor to be a godparent.

Is there any similar process for picking who baptizes who?
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235867#msg1235867 date=1238734292]
    We have records that show if a person has been baptized and what has been done for them. Just so it is not done mulitple times.
    [/quote]

I've heard it was to make it look like they have more members than they actually do. I've heard that they are the fastest growing religion because of this. Would there be a problem if someone was baptized more than once?

[quote author=berryblu link=topic=16212.msg1235931#msg1235931 date=1238736117]
    Sounds masonic to me.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=16212.msg1235800#msg1235800 date=1238731924]

their secret temple oaths are based on the Scottish Rite Masons.

[/quote]

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=16212.msg1235537#msg1235537 date=1238716887]
    A couple of questions:

1.&nbsp; Are Mormon males circumcised or not?&nbsp; Does the Church have any &quot;guidance&quot; in the matter?

2.&nbsp; Seriously, Mormons leave their undies on during sex?&nbsp; Ugh.

3.&nbsp; What does the term &quot;sealed&quot; mean?

4.&nbsp; Do Mormons still have to have a 30 day food supply?

5.&nbsp; What percentage of your income is considered a &quot;full tithe&quot; by the Mormons?

Thanks in advance for your time!!
    [/quote]

I don't know but ask Miller, he's an expert on all things Mormon.&nbsp;

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=16212.msg1235800#msg1235800 date=1238731924]
    My sister was Mormon for a brief period. She was really heavily into it, so I had so many questions. She told me that the mormon community have their own form of welfare that the 10% contributes to. The welfare isn't just for Mormons, but really anyone who needs help. They put em to work though instead of just giving it to them like our governments form of welfare.

My sister got away from Mormonism because she missed church one day and like 6 of them showed up to her house banging on the door in a creepy confrontational way. I respect peoples right to religion, but to be honest, I think Mormonism is the worst religion. Like a lot of religions, it has it's fair share of corruption, but is more mafioso and brainwashy than most. The whole Mormon history is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Lulz at Joseph Smith. There is no evidence to support their history, no archaeological evidence.

fun fact time...

the state of Utah has a higher than the national average of wife-beating, child abuse, and teenage suicide.

Joseph Smith was heavily involved in the occult when he founded Mormonism.

their secret temple oaths are based on the Scottish Rite Masons.

that before 1978 they considered the Negro race inferior, and even one drop of Negro blood prevented a person from entering their priesthood. &nbsp;:|

according to Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible, the demon god of the living dead is called &quot;Mormo&quot;. Is it just a coincidence that the Mormons are so concerned with the dead?

on their Salt Lake City Temple they prominently display an upside-down star which is a Satanic symbol known as the Goat's head. Why?

Joseph Smith taught that there were inhabitants on the moon, and Brigham Young taught there were inhabitants on the sun as well

he LDS believe that God was once an imperfect man who attained godhood, was given his own planet to rule over -- earth, and now resides near the star KOLOB.

The first edition of the Book of the Mormon contained numerous grammatical, spelling, and Punctuation errors, most (but not all) of which were corrected in subsequent editions. The Book contains words that nobody, not even Joseph Smith, can define. It contains theological discrepancies and other errors, including having Jesus born in Jerusalem. It contains blatant anachronisms, including the practice of Christianity before Christ was even born, paraphrased sayings by Jesus by B.C. characters, and reference to the Book of Revelation centuries before it was written.

In 1828, eight years after he supposedly had been told by God himself to join no church, Smith applied for membership in a local Methodist church. Other members of his family had joined the Presbyterians.

Mormons believe that god was a man (of flesh and bone) here on earth, and that they can achieve being gods themselves. They also believe that god had sex with Mary and impregnated her with Jesus.

Mormon men believe they control their wives eternal destiny.

Basically joseph Smith was a fraud and Mormons are silly for believing him.
    [/quote]

I just found that out recently. One of my school classmates just moved back&nbsp; to New Mexico after her husband got out of the Air Force. She is a nurse and she worked at a walk in clinic where they dealt with a lot of battered women and abused children on a daily basis. She a lot basically said there weren't going to press charges against their husbands.

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=16212.msg1236174#msg1236174 date=1238768969]
    I've heard it was to make it look like they have more members than they actually do. I've heard that they are the fastest growing religion because of this. Would there be a problem if someone was baptized more than once?
    [/quote]

No, it is not to make the church look bigger than it is. It really is one of the fastest growing religions on earth. It wouldn't be a big problem if it was done more than once, it would be pointless to do it though because it was already done.

[quote author=happy phantom link=topic=16212.msg1236123#msg1236123 date=1238766442]

&nbsp; +1.That's&nbsp; my&nbsp; big soap-box.Til I find one with more lather,I guess..

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ....OT , but is it weird that I find Travis baptizing Jodi to be both kind of hot,and&nbsp; completely tragic?

&nbsp; &nbsp;Is there supposed to be&nbsp; special requirements for who baptizes someone into the faith? Catholics&nbsp; name godparents at a baptism who are supposed to mentor the baby as it grows up, teach him/ her about their religion and set an example of how two Catholics behave.

Their usually two people the parents find to be &quot;good Christians&quot;. It's considered an honor to be a godparent.

[/quote]

When you decide to get baptized you can choose anyone that is eligible to do it. Usually it is someone who has been insturmental in you learning about the church. That is probably why Jodi chose Travis, because he gave her a B of M to read and talked with her about it. There are no godparents in the church...

[quote author=happy phantom link=topic=16212.msg1236123#msg1236123 date=1238766442]

&nbsp; +1.That's&nbsp; my&nbsp; big soap-box.Til I find one with more lather,I guess..

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ....OT , but is it weird that I find Travis baptizing Jodi to be both kind of hot,and&nbsp; completely tragic?

&nbsp; &nbsp;Is there supposed to be&nbsp; special requirements for who baptizes someone into the faith? Catholics&nbsp; name godparents at a baptism who are supposed to mentor the baby as it grows up, teach him/ her about their religion and set an example of how two Catholics behave.

Their usually two people the parents find to be &quot;good Christians&quot;. It's considered an honor to be a godparent.

[/quote]

There was a catholic obstetrician here who would baptize babies if he delivered them and he didn't think they were going to survive. He also would not give birth control.&nbsp; :|
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Can someone please explain to me how you baptize the dead?&nbsp; I was baptized the old fashion way - in a river.&nbsp; And my understanding of the reason one is baptized is because they accept the lord.&nbsp; How can a dead person do this?

Oh and what is this planet kolob all about and where is it?

[quote author=browneyes106 link=topic=16212.msg1236259#msg1236259 date=1238772326]
    I just found that out recently. One of my school classmates just moved back&nbsp; to New Mexico after her husband got out of the Air Force. She is a nurse and she worked at a walk in clinic where they dealt with a lot of battered women and abused children on a daily basis. She a lot basically said there weren't going to press charges against their husbands.
    [/quote]

Any kind of abuse is not allowed! If a wife or husband is found being abusive they can be excommunicated. It is sad that there is such a high statistic in Utah.

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=16212.msg1236274#msg1236274 date=1238772674]
    Can someone please explain to me how you baptize the dead?&nbsp; I was baptized the old fashion way - in a river.&nbsp; And my understanding of the reason one is baptized is because they accept the lord.&nbsp; How can a dead person do this?

Oh and what is this planet kolob all about and where is it?
    [/quote]

Someone else accepted the lord for them. You know, like when a package comes but you're not home. They just give it to whoever comes to the door.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1236262#msg1236262 date=1238772359]
    No, it is not to make the church look bigger than it is. It really is one of the fastest growing religions on earth. It wouldn't be a big problem if it was done more than once, it would be pointless to do it though because it was already done.
    [/quote]

Whereas being baptized the first time is not pointless?

Or let's put it this way, what does being baptized just once do for you, that either not being baptized, or being baptized twice wouldn't also do?

As much as I hate it, necro just made me laugh. With him, not at him.

Many people believe you cannot get into heaven if you are not baptized. My dad is one of them. The Bible, does not teach this, however.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16212.msg1236286#msg1236286 date=1238772926]
    As much as I hate it, necro just made me laugh. With him, not at him.

Many people believe you cannot get into heaven if you are not baptized. My dad is one of them. The Bible, does not teach this, however.
    [/quote]

We believe being baptized is a commandment. Just as Jesus was baptized in the Bible, we are too. So, when we baptize for people who have passed away and were not baptized we are giving them an opportunity to accept it or not. Of course nobody would be forced to accept it if they didnt want it.

[quote author=Necromancer link=topic=16212.msg1236282#msg1236282 date=1238772832]
    Whereas being baptized the first time is not pointless?

Or let's put it this way, what does being baptized just once do for you, that either not being baptized, or being baptized twice wouldn't also do?

[/quote]

lol.. being baptized the first time is very important, to us at least. Once baptized you aren't being baptized again for yourself because you have already done it.

WELL FOLKS... I'm off to work, so if you have anymore LDS questions just message me. I doubt I will be able to catch up on them in the thread.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1236298#msg1236298 date=1238773472]
    We believe being baptized is a commandment. Just as Jesus was baptized in the Bible, we are too. So, when we baptize for people who have passed away and were not baptized we are giving them an opportunity to accept it or not. Of course nobody would be forced to accept it if they didnt want it.
    [/quote]

I know this has been asked before, but how can dead people accept or decline anything?

Sunday school question:

If you are baptized, are you pretty much good to go as far as getting into heaven?

I'm still trying to figure out whether I can just get baptized, live a life full of sin, then just ask Jesus for forgiveness at the end of my life so I can get into heaven.

[quote author=Necromancer link=topic=16212.msg1236307#msg1236307 date=1238773771]
    Sunday school question:

If you are baptized, are you pretty much good to go as far as getting into heaven?

I'm still trying to figure out whether I can just get baptized, live a life full of sin, then just ask Jesus for forgiveness at the end of my life so I can get into heaven.

[/quote]

Yes, if you can slide in a convincing plea at the end you're good to go. Baptism is not required to get into heaven. However, bear in mind you might die suddenly. Then you'd be fucked.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16212.msg1236302#msg1236302 date=1238773602]
    I know this has been asked before, but how can dead people accept or decline anything?
    [/quote]

Once we die, our spirit and body are separated... our spirit is still alive. As a spirit you can accept or reject it.

the color nine

Can someone start a Mormon thread or isn't there a religion thread around here somewhere?&nbsp; I thought it was stated that this murder had nothing to do with Mormonism....or does it?&nbsp; I'm confused.

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=16212.msg1236314#msg1236314 date=1238774006]
    Can someone start a Mormon thread or isn't there a religion thread around here somewhere?&nbsp; I thought it was stated that this murder had nothing to do with Mormonism....or does it?&nbsp; I'm confused.
    [/quote]

I think that's a good idea. If sttverve would be kind enough to answer questions in another thread, I think a lot of folks find it interesting. This really isn't the place for it, though.

[quote author=Necromancer link=topic=16212.msg1236307#msg1236307 date=1238773771]
    Sunday school question:

[/quote]

No, after you are baptized you need to obey the commandments and repent if you sin. When we are baptized we make a promise to obey the commandments. &nbsp;

the state of Utah has a higher than the national average of wife-beating, child abuse, and teenage suicide.

Joseph Smith taught that there were inhabitants on the moon, and Brigham Young taught there were inhabitants on the sun as well

[/quote]

the state of Utah has a higher than the national average of wife-beating, child abuse, and teenage suicide. &nbsp;You forgot to mention teenage pregnancy.

Joseph Smith taught that there were inhabitants on the moon, and Brigham Young taught there were inhabitants on the sun as well. &nbsp;I've only heard this one from Mormon bashers. &nbsp;I was never taught this ever at any point in my life and my family on my mother's side are direct decedents of Joseph Smith! &nbsp;There was always something so slimy and creepy about Brigham Young...I don't know what it was exactly. &nbsp;I just never cared for him. &nbsp; :?

ETA: You are right.&nbsp; This is a subject for another thread...back to Jodi and Travis.&nbsp; AND NO...Mormonism didn't have anything to do with his murder...though I think she will try and say it was.&nbsp; I personally find it offensive that she is still claiming to be Mormon because now that I know how she was acting while still practicing her faith it is so painfully obvious that she never believed anything about the church and was faking it the entire time!
    ALWAYS DO RIGHT.&nbsp; THIS WILL GRATIFY SOME PEOPLE AND ASTONISH THE REST. ~Mark Twain~

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16212.msg1236320#msg1236320 date=1238774120]
    I think that's a good idea. If sttverve would be kind enough to answer questions in another thread, I think a lot of folks find it interesting. This really isn't the place for it, though.
    [/quote]

I will try to answer your ?'s. I dont know how to start a thread so just tell me where to be. Like I said before I am not a religous scholar. I can just tell you my opinions &amp; what I know...

I have to leave for work, so I'll log on tonight &amp; catch up on your ?'s

Thread Information