Page 102 of 2163 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 602 1102 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 54055

Thread: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death

Re: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235742#msg1235742 date=1238729394]
    lol, I agree there are a lot of fatty mormons lol. There is not a specific passage that says caffeine. But that is what many of us assume it to be for coffee. Because of that assumption, many LDS people don't drink caffinated soda. There are a ton of bad things for your body! But the church leaves a lot of that up to our own judgement, except for those big things like drugs tobacco and alchohal...stuff like that.
    [/quote]

That's why all the Mormons I knew were big on robotrippin as teenagers.

[quote author=kennedyrala link=topic=16212.msg1235761#msg1235761 date=1238730295]
    [/quote]

Yes...that and Ritalin....or was that just MY Mormon friends???
    ALWAYS DO RIGHT.  THIS WILL GRATIFY SOME PEOPLE AND ASTONISH THE REST. ~Mark Twain~

[quote author=kennedyrala link=topic=16212.msg1235761#msg1235761 date=1238730295]
    [/quote]

lol.. I think it is also easy to point out the "bad mormons" because the religion is so distinct from others. There are tons of jewish, catholic, baptist, and all other types of religions that have people do things that are not in harmony to the teachings. It seems easy though to pick out the mormons.

Wow I really learned/ am learning a lot I didn't know about LDS.

Tithing wasn't instituted in the old testament for GOD per say.  There were many Priests, and being a priest was a full time job. They lived and served in the Temple, and Tithing was a way to give them the things they needed. The excess was used for charity, distributed to poor families, construction and stuff like that. I don't know about LDS, but I think most of the churches here... the preacher and church pretty much run on collections.

The Old testament law,  a tithe literally means 1/10.  You were also to leave a portion of your crops in the field for poor people. They were only allowed to take what they needed on a daily basis though. It was the Israelite version of Social Security and Welfare.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235775#msg1235775 date=1238730873]
    lol.. I think it is also easy to point out the "bad mormons" because the religion is so distinct from others. There are tons of jewish, catholic, baptist, and all other types of religions that have people do things that are not in harmony to the teachings. It seems easy though to pick out the mormons.

[/quote]

Well you've come to the right place. We don't discriminate. Everyone is fair game. :lol:
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=Mortis link=topic=16212.msg1235777#msg1235777 date=1238730941]

The Old testament law,  a tithe literally means 1/10.  You were also to leave a portion of your crops in the field for poor people. They were only allowed to take what they needed on a daily basis though. It was the Israelite version of Social Security and Welfare.
    [/quote]

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with tithing if people knew for certain where all the money went.

I'd hire someone from pricewaterhouse to make sure. :lol:
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

My sister was Mormon for a brief period. She was really heavily into it, so I had so many questions. She told me that the mormon community have their own form of welfare that the 10% contributes to. The welfare isn't just for Mormons, but really anyone who needs help. They put em to work though instead of just giving it to them like our governments form of welfare.

My sister got away from Mormonism because she missed church one day and like 6 of them showed up to her house banging on the door in a creepy confrontational way. I respect peoples right to religion, but to be honest, I think Mormonism is the worst religion. Like a lot of religions, it has it's fair share of corruption, but is more mafioso and brainwashy than most. The whole Mormon history is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Lulz at Joseph Smith. There is no evidence to support their history, no archaeological evidence.

fun fact time...

the state of Utah has a higher than the national average of wife-beating, child abuse, and teenage suicide.

Joseph Smith was heavily involved in the occult when he founded Mormonism.

their secret temple oaths are based on the Scottish Rite Masons.

that before 1978 they considered the Negro race inferior, and even one drop of Negro blood prevented a person from entering their priesthood.  :|

according to Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible, the demon god of the living dead is called "Mormo". Is it just a coincidence that the Mormons are so concerned with the dead?

on their Salt Lake City Temple they prominently display an upside-down star which is a Satanic symbol known as the Goat's head. Why?

Joseph Smith taught that there were inhabitants on the moon, and Brigham Young taught there were inhabitants on the sun as well

he LDS believe that God was once an imperfect man who attained godhood, was given his own planet to rule over -- earth, and now resides near the star KOLOB.

The first edition of the Book of the Mormon contained numerous grammatical, spelling, and Punctuation errors, most (but not all) of which were corrected in subsequent editions. The Book contains words that nobody, not even Joseph Smith, can define. It contains theological discrepancies and other errors, including having Jesus born in Jerusalem. It contains blatant anachronisms, including the practice of Christianity before Christ was even born, paraphrased sayings by Jesus by B.C. characters, and reference to the Book of Revelation centuries before it was written.

In 1828, eight years after he supposedly had been told by God himself to join no church, Smith applied for membership in a local Methodist church. Other members of his family had joined the Presbyterians.

Mormons believe that god was a man (of flesh and bone) here on earth, and that they can achieve being gods themselves. They also believe that god had sex with Mary and impregnated her with Jesus.

Mormon men believe they control their wives eternal destiny.

Basically joseph Smith was a fraud and Mormons are silly for believing him.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235795#msg1235795 date=1238731831]
    Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with tithing if people knew for certain where all the money went.

I'd hire someone from pricewaterhouse to make sure. :lol:
    [/quote]

This thread is going really off topic so I'll help out.  :lol: I have a big problem with huge fancy churches. Think what a church could do with the money they spend on the building and upkeep of those ridiculous buildings. It has always been my understanding that the congregation could meet in the barn and God would be cool with it.

Two places that should be absolutely no frills - churches and government buildings. Who do they need to impress?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Fan of the Underdog kateisgr3at's Avatar

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=16212.msg1235800#msg1235800 date=1238731924]
    My sister got away from Mormonism because she missed church one day and like 6 of them showed up to her house banging on the door in a creepy confrontational way. I respect peoples right to religion, but to be honest, I think Mormonism is the worst religion. Like a lot of religions, it has it's fair share of corruption, but is more mafioso and brainwashy than most. The whole Mormon history is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Lulz at Joseph Smith. There is no evidence to support their history, no archaeological evidence.

[/quote]

I agree with you on that one. My aunt and her 5 kids are all Mormon and very religious. I've never asked questions but that's because I've never been allowed to...all I've known my whole life is that I am never to discuss religion with them because it always causes a huge fight between her and my mom.

Aside from that, they are also die-hard republican. When her youngest son was 10, he walked into our living room while we were watching Oprah and said, "You need to get that damn democrat off of the television."  10 years old.

Not that that really has anything to do with being Mormon, but it did show me how strongly they stand by their beliefs.
    Balls.

So what are the rituals that go on in the temple?

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=16212.msg1235800#msg1235800 date=1238731924]
    My sister was Mormon for a brief period. She was really heavily into it, so I had so many questions. She told me that the mormon community have their own form of welfare that the 10% contributes to. The welfare isn't just for Mormons, but really anyone who needs help. They put em to work though instead of just giving it to them like our governments form of welfare.

fun fact time...

the state of Utah has a higher than the national average of wife-beating, child abuse, and teenage suicide.

Joseph Smith was heavily involved in the occult when he founded Mormonism.

their secret temple oaths are based on the Scottish Rite Masons.

that before 1978 they considered the Negro race inferior, and even one drop of Negro blood prevented a person from entering their priesthood.  :|

according to Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible, the demon god of the living dead is called "Mormo". Is it just a coincidence that the Mormons are so concerned with the dead?

on their Salt Lake City Temple they prominently display an upside-down star which is a Satanic symbol known as the Goat's head. Why?

Joseph Smith taught that there were inhabitants on the moon, and Brigham Young taught there were inhabitants on the sun as well

he LDS believe that God was once an imperfect man who attained godhood, was given his own planet to rule over -- earth, and now resides near the star KOLOB.

The first edition of the Book of the Mormon contained numerous grammatical, spelling, and Punctuation errors, most (but not all) of which were corrected in subsequent editions. The Book contains words that nobody, not even Joseph Smith, can define. It contains theological discrepancies and other errors, including having Jesus born in Jerusalem. It contains blatant anachronisms, including the practice of Christianity before Christ was even born, paraphrased sayings by Jesus by B.C. characters, and reference to the Book of Revelation centuries before it was written.

In 1828, eight years after he supposedly had been told by God himself to join no church, Smith applied for membership in a local Methodist church. Other members of his family had joined the Presbyterians.

Mormons believe that god was a man (of flesh and bone) here on earth, and that they can achieve being gods themselves. They also believe that god had sex with Mary and impregnated her with Jesus.

Mormon men believe they control their wives eternal destiny.

Basically joseph Smith was a fraud and Mormons are silly for believing him.
    [/quote]

There are a lot of things I questioned about the church prior to joining. Most of those things you listed were concerns. But though my own research, not by help of a mormon. I answered all those ?'s and things that are incorrect and taken out of context. I know my religion is very controversial. And nobody can really convice others otherwise unless they are really wanting to learn about it. BUT TRUST ME, I know some of the religions history is sketchy, but I'd be the last person on this earth to join it if taught things that I did not 100% believe in.

That sucks your sister had a bad experience. There are a few people in my congregation that are wierdos. Just like every other church. But you can't judge a religion by a few wack jobs. I wouldn't have been comfortable either if I was your sister. Its ashame.

[quote author=berryblu link=topic=16212.msg1235818#msg1235818 date=1238732498]
    [/quote]

I am uncomfortable going into detail about too much of it because it is so sacred to us. But it actually is an awesome place! I was "sealed" to my husband there. That means that we are civilly(sp?? lol) married, and then also if we keep the commandments and strive to do our best, we will be together after we die. Being sealed means that our kids are connected to us after we die as well.

When members go back to the temple it is all for service. We preform baptisms and sealings for family members and other who have died. We believe that people that have passed away are separated from their bodies and are in heaven. There people can either accept or reject the baptism and sealings...whatever they want.

I'm sure that all sounds wierd but our ultimate goal is to just be with our families forever. That is the biggest part of our religion I feel.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235846#msg1235846 date=1238733618]
    I am uncomfortable going into detail about too much of it because it is so sacred to us. But it actually is an awesome place! I was "sealed" to my husband there. That means that we are civilly(sp?? lol) married, and then also if we keep the commandments and strive to do our best, we will be together after we die. Being sealed means that our kids are connected to us after we die as well.

When members go back to the temple it is all for service. We preform baptisms and sealings for family members and other who have died. We believe that people that have passed away are separated from their bodies and are in heaven. There people can either accept or reject the baptism and sealings...whatever they want.

I'm sure that all sounds wierd but our ultimate goal is to just be with our families forever. That is the biggest part of our religion I feel.
    [/quote]

When the dead are baptized, do they go in the book as members of the Mormon community, for the matter of record?

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=16212.msg1235856#msg1235856 date=1238733954]
    When the dead are baptized, do they go in the book as members of the Mormon community, for the matter of record?
    [/quote]

We have records that show if a person has been baptized and what has been done for them. Just so it is not done mulitple times.

I've been following this thread since the beginning and finally decided to jump in on the new conversation. I live in an area of Arizona that has many LDS churches. My neighbors are Mormon, and I would never have known (except now I've seen the picture of the temple in San Diego where they got married hanging on the wall)! It wasn't until they came to a bday/bbq at our house where our other friends were drinking and they didn't. Later, I asked my husband why and he said he thought it was because of their religion. The next time I saw my neighbor I asked her what church they went to and she told me it was the LDS church. My neighbors are some of the nicest people you could know, and they are always willing to help. They still come to our anual July 4 BBQ even though they know my husband's work friends will be drinking. They have never done anything to make us think they are wierd. To me, the only thing that makes Mormons in my community stand out is the number of kids they have... and so close in age. My neighbor has three that are 5 and under. Another family I know has four kids that are 6 and under. Our family dentist is Mormon, and he coached my son's little league team. I would never have known he was Mormon either until my neighbor told me he goes to their church. So, no Mormon I know has ever given me the impression that they are cult like, or wierd people.... they are just normal to me!

Oh and BTW, Jodi is GUILTY! I guess I have no chance of getting on the jury now that I have that opinion.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235846#msg1235846 date=1238733618]

[/quote]

I guessed you would say that.  :lol:

[quote author=berryblu link=topic=16212.msg1235879#msg1235879 date=1238734671]
    I guessed you would say that.  :lol:
    [/quote]

lol, well of course I would. It is something we don't really discuss outside of the temple because it is sacred to us. When I went for the first time I was nervous about it because I heard all these crazy things that would happen. But it is a very cool place to be. You feel safe there and everything you worry about seems to be left at the door. It is a great place, but you have to want to be there and understand the gospel or it would be totally over your head. Thats why you can't be baptized and go to the temple right away. You wait a year and live the gospel. Then you can go inside. Anybody can if they want, they just have to take the steps first.

[quote author=berryblu link=topic=16212.msg1235818#msg1235818 date=1238732498]
    [/quote]

One thing is, that they look into these mirrors and see themselves like a thousand times. That's supposed to symbolize eternity. :|

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235920#msg1235920 date=1238735769]
    lol, well of course I would. It is something we don't really discuss outside of the temple because it is sacred to us. When I went for the first time I was nervous about it because I heard all these crazy things that would happen. But it is a very cool place to be. You feel safe there and everything you worry about seems to be left at the door. It is a great place, but you have to want to be there and understand the gospel or it would be totally over your head. Thats why you can't be baptized and go to the temple right away. You wait a year and live the gospel. Then you can go inside. Anybody can if they want, they just have to take the steps first.
    [/quote]

Sounds masonic to me.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235928#msg1235928 date=1238735930]

One thing is, that they look into these mirrors and see themselves like a thousand times. That's supposed to symbolize eternity. :|
    [/quote]

Hmmmmm.  I always heard they had to ride a goat nude.  *shrugs*

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235928#msg1235928 date=1238735930]

[/quote]I did that once at Ripley's in Hollywood.  :|
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=berryblu link=topic=16212.msg1235932#msg1235932 date=1238736202]
    Hmmmmm.  I always heard they had to ride a goat nude.  *shrugs*
    [/quote]

ummm no lol. I dont think I'd be going back if that were the case lol. Hey, in all honesty I am not a religous scholar. In my own way I studied lots of religions and the LDS church is what I believe to be true. Whether you believe in God or not, I believe in respecting other peoples perspectives and beliefs. I know without a doubt that I am living the life I want to. But I know it isnt for everyone! But being open minded about things and getting the information about religions from the right source is important.

This thread is about a crazy biotch that went psycho on a guy that didn't deserve to die. Whether he was mormon or not, this is an interesting case! I remember a post a few pages back asking if the mormon community is supporting Jodi at all. I havent heard anything about it. I assume most of her LDS friends were probably Travis' good friends. So who knows if they are on her side or not. I know I wouldn't be just because we share a religion.

what jodi did to Travis is inexcusable I almost wish his death photos were posted it would shut a lot of ppl up.

what she did to Travis will never be forgiven and DON'T MAKE EXCUSES
    MURDER IS MURDER.
    I don't care if they were fucking.
    I will never sympathize with Jodi , I saw what she did.
    If there is a hell , JODI BELONGS THERE

[quote author=ginygirl link=topic=16212.msg1235459#msg1235459 date=1238708561]
    I agree with you.  I don't think the draw of the church reeled Jodi in.  But I do think that because of Travis' status in the church that she held him to a very high standard and flipped when he didn't make an honest woman out of her.
    [/quote]

They broke up a year before he died.  So if she had these expectations that he would one day change his mind & be with her for anything more than sex....that's her own delusion.  I'm sure this wasn't the first time she had a booty call arrangement with a guy.  My point is...nothing he did caused her to flip....she, for whatever reason, made her choices that day.  Just like she made the choice to lie to the police & continues to lie to this day.  I don't believe the victim in this case is to blame.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235343#msg1235343 date=1238702843]

I was in the wedding party and couldn't go inside. Only the real mormon family could watch them get married. Apparently they do some "secret thing"  :lol:

The bride's family couldn't even go in.   :lol:
    [/quote]

Fucking ridiculous.Not you,Chauncy, the whole list of rules and regs of this religion.Sacred garments? Like any supreme omnipotent,non-human  Creator would give a shit about the clothes you wear or who you slept with  or any of that mundane crap.
    And it's not just the mormon faith,it's all of them!

The bride's family wasn't allowed in their "God's  house" ? Some "religion." The bride should've told them to stick it up their asses.That scenario right there is a  picture -perfect example of how  religions miss the forest for the tree.In my opinion.

Damn,I thought Catholics were judgemental.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Thread Information