Page 101 of 2163 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 601 1101 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 54055

Thread: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death

Re: Jodi Ann Arias shot and stabbed her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander to death

:2eyesbleed:

that was SO much...interesting, but holy hell....I had to look up  tithing.
    Research, I does it.....sometimes.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=16212.msg1235665#msg1235665 date=1238726741]
    Why does God even need money?

[/quote]

This shit don't come cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=16212.msg1235667#msg1235667 date=1238726894]
    What would happen to you if you didn't pay it?  Or if you paid less than 10%? 

Oh, and what happens if you lose your job?  Do you tithe 10% of your unemployment checks?

Thanks for answering.
    [/quote]

If you don't pay it your temple recommend wouldnt be renewed. Other members don't know who pays or who doesnt. They don't know how much you make and even if you are really paying 10%. They don't even have a rule if it is on Gross or Net income. It is a personal thing and we are just honest about it in interviews we have with Bishops to go to the Temple and a year-end interview that is just about tithing.

If you are unemployed the church will help you out too. We also donate once a month to a fund for members that are struggling. I dont know for sure about paying tithing on an unemployment check. If it were me, I would. But it is all personal preference really.

Hope that answers your ?. I think most people think the church is crazy strict. And for some it is, but for me it really isn';t.

Olivia

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16212.msg1235671#msg1235671 date=1238727087]
    This shit don't come cheap.

[/quote]

I guess a building of that size and scale is necessary to pray succesfully.

mydeathspace

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235654#msg1235654 date=1238726275]
    To be honest, I don't know why it is set at 10%. I pay tithing every 2 weeks.
    [/quote]

When you are paying every two weeks, do you ever think how great that money would be toward beer or a nice dinner somewhere? Or maybe.... on a premium membership?  :lol:

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=16212.msg1235675#msg1235675 date=1238727271]
    I guess a building of that size and scale is necessary to pray succesfully.
    [/quote]

Only the really special ones can pray there. The rest have to wait outside.

They don't buy booze or cigarettes, though, so they have money to spend on tithing.

" Hot drinks"

Why can't you drink them?
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Olivia

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16212.msg1235679#msg1235679 date=1238727390]

They don't buy booze or cigarettes, though, so they have money to spend on tithing.
    [/quote]

What price can you put though on eternal life and mutiple partners in heaven? 

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=16212.msg1235678#msg1235678 date=1238727322]
    When you are paying every two weeks, do you ever think how great that money would be toward beer or a nice dinner somewhere? Or maybe.... on a premium membership?  :lol:
    [/quote]

Of course I do! Who wouldn't sometimes! I went through a time where I didn't pay it and I struggled financially more then than when I pay it. It sounds odd, but it is true. It was really hard when I first joined the church because I wasn't use to it. But I know it goes to good things. And I never miss a payment.

mydeathspace

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=16212.msg1235683#msg1235683 date=1238727518]
    [/quote]

Are they virgins? Because who would want 72 virgins in heaven? Worst time ever.  :|

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16212.msg1235679#msg1235679 date=1238727390]

[/quote]

This was hard for me. When I got married most of my family couldn't come because they are not members. It was really tough because they took it very personal. I totally understand why they would too.

The reason non-members aren't invited inside is because it is a special place to members. Anybody can eventually come in as long as they are dedicated to the church. If people who are not LDS come in & don't understand the principles of the gospel, it would be weird and they wouldn't get anything out of it. It is hard to explain, but I understand why people get annoyed that they cannot come in.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235682#msg1235682 date=1238727479]
    " Hot drinks"

Why can't you drink them?
    [/quote]

This one was a hard one for me because I was so into my starbucks every morning. We have something called the "Word of Wisdom" that is basiclly a guideline of things to refrain from like drugs, alchohal, coffee, teas, and things like that. The big ones like drugs and alchohal are because while they may be fun  :-D they do impair your judgement. You can be more likely to make poor decisions when under the influence. They are also harmful to your body. The hot drinks means coffee and teas. It has to do more with caffeine, which is because it is bad for your body. I know people can argue that lots of things are bad for us. But these are the main reasons why.

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=16212.msg1235685#msg1235685 date=1238727586]
    Are they virgins? Because who would want 72 virgins in heaven? Worst time ever.  :|
    [/quote]
    Yeah, been there.  They're pretty intent on staying that way.  :|
    Ma'am, what is hard to explain about a person breathing or not breathing? what is so difficult? why is that a difficult concept for you?

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=16212.msg1235683#msg1235683 date=1238727518]
    [/quote]

All I know is that if I have the opportunity to be with my husband longer than "till death do us part" and with my kiddos and parents. I am willing to give up 10% of my income and some weed for it. I guess I've been there done that & know what is most important to me. Nothing else really matters.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235674#msg1235674 date=1238727223]
    If you don't pay it your temple recommend wouldnt be renewed. Other members don't know who pays or who doesnt. They don't know how much you make and even if you are really paying 10%. They don't even have a rule if it is on Gross or Net income. It is a personal thing and we are just honest about it in interviews we have with Bishops to go to the Temple and a year-end interview that is just about tithing.

If you are unemployed the church will help you out too. We also donate once a month to a fund for members that are struggling. I dont know for sure about paying tithing on an unemployment check. If it were me, I would. But it is all personal preference really.

Hope that answers your ?. I think most people think the church is crazy strict. And for some it is, but for me it really isn';t.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the answers.

You wanna know what I think?  I think whatever belief(s) keep(s) us "going" is what we should believe in.   

Now that includes those who don't believe in religion as well as those who do.

Oh - as a Mormon - can you have friends that aren't Mormon?

PS:  I always dreamed of converting to Mormonism so I could marry Donny Osmond.  ::giggle::
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235695#msg1235695 date=1238728052]
    This one was a hard one for me because I was so into my starbucks every morning. We have something called the "Word of Wisdom" that is basiclly a guideline of things to refrain from like drugs, alchohal, coffee, teas, and things like that. The big ones like drugs and alchohal are because while they may be fun  :-D they do impair your judgement. You can be more likely to make poor decisions when under the influence. They are also harmful to your body. The hot drinks means coffee and teas. It has to do more with caffeine, which is because it is bad for your body. I know people can argue that lots of things are bad for us. But these are the main reasons why.
    [/quote]

But can you eat chocolate and drink soda? A lot of mormons have told me this is ok.

Where is the specific passage that forbids caffeine? It has to be about more than just things that are bad for your body. I see a lot of fat out of shape mormons grubbing on fast food a lot but wont have a cup of tea?    

And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235708#msg1235708 date=1238728590]
    All I know is that if I have the opportunity to be with my husband longer than "till death do us part" and with my kiddos and parents. I am willing to give up 10% of my income and some weed for it. I guess I've been there done that & know what is most important to me. Nothing else really matters.
    [/quote]

So you have to pay God off to get to heaven with your family?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=16212.msg1235716#msg1235716 date=1238728750]
    So you have to pay God off to get to heaven with your family?
    [/quote]

Well, yeah. What, do you think God just loves all humans? HAH I think not.  :-)
    Oh nooooooo your tires all flat and junk.

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=16212.msg1235713#msg1235713 date=1238728702]
    Thanks for the answers.

You wanna know what I think?  I think whatever belief(s) keep(s) us "going" is what we should believe in.    

Now that includes those who don't believe in religion as well as those who do.

Oh - as a Mormon - can you have friends that aren't Mormon?

PS:  I always dreamed of converting to Mormonism so I could marry Donny Osmond.   ::giggle::
    [/quote]

OF COURSE you can have friends that aren't mormon!! You can date people that aren't mormon. I think that a lot of LDS people tend to hang out with other LDS people because it is easier to stick to their beliefs, like not drinking and stuff like that. I think to non-members ( as it did to me in High School) come across as click-ish. But really mormons feel more comfortable with members because a lot of times it is just easier that way.

For me, I love a variety of friends. It doesn't matter what religion or ethincity or anything they are. My LDS friends are the same way.

I think that a rule for a lot of LDS single people is to date LDS people. Even though Jodi was baptized, it may have been difficult for her to not have premarital sex because that was her lifestyle. And at Travis' age, it was hard to resist. He was probably use to dating LDS girls that didn't even go far enough for sex to be something for him to resist until Jodi. Who knows. But All mormons make mistakes. It doesn't mean you are ostracized and forgotten.

[quote author=tanya2012 link=topic=16212.msg1235723#msg1235723 date=1238728926]
    Well, yeah. What, do you think God just loves all humans? HAH I think not.  :-)
    [/quote]

I've read a bunch of stuff about how he loves us all but clearly it was lies.

Olivia

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235708#msg1235708 date=1238728590]
    [/quote]

Thanks for answering all our questions

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235714#msg1235714 date=1238728710]

But can you eat chocolate and drink soda? A lot of mormons have told me this is ok.

Where is the specific passage that forbids caffeine? It has to be about more than just things that are bad for your body. I see a lot of fat out of shape mormons grubbing on fast food a lot but wont have a cup of tea?    

[/quote]

lol, I agree there are a lot of fatty mormons lol. There is not a specific passage that says caffeine. But that is what many of us assume it to be for coffee. Because of that assumption, many LDS people don't drink caffinated soda. There are a ton of bad things for your body! But the church leaves a lot of that up to our own judgement, except for those big things like drugs tobacco and alchohal...stuff like that.

[quote author=sttverve link=topic=16212.msg1235742#msg1235742 date=1238729394]
    lol, I agree there are a lot of fatty mormons lol. There is not a specific passage that says caffeine. But that is what many of us assume it to be for coffee. Because of that assumption, many LDS people don't drink caffinated soda. There are a ton of bad things for your body! But the church leaves a lot of that up to our own judgement, except for those big things like drugs tobacco and alchohal...stuff like that.
    [/quote]

Ah ok, I see.

God is pretty vague isn't he? Why couldn't he just be very clear. I don't trust humans to decipher and assume. :lol:

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=16212.msg1235732#msg1235732 date=1238729127]
    Thanks for answering all our questions
    [/quote]

Sure! No problemo. I am aware that we are looked at as a bunch of wierdos. But basically our church is set up the same way it was in Jesus Christ day. People think Joseph Smith is a quack and I did too until I really understood it and learned about it. My family thinks I am the last person that would have joined a church. But it is one of the few places where good old fashioned morals are taught. My kiddos love the kids programs, my husband and I have never been happier. I know it is not for everyone, and that is totally cool.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=16212.msg1235749#msg1235749 date=1238729590]
    Ah ok, I see.

God is pretty vague isn't he? Why couldn't he just be very clear. I don't trust humans to decipher and assume. :lol:
    [/quote]

It would be great if everything was clear! But then I guess life would be too easy lol. I'll stop talking religion unless someone PM's me. I was just bothered by the posting by the other mormon person on here.

Oh, one more thing about the garments. We are encouraged to wear them all the time, but of course you can't all the time. It is not a big deal that Travis wasn't wearing them for his little skit. Whoever was freaking out about that was totally overreacting! I personally thought they were being just as arrogant in their posting as Travis may have been about his bicept. Anyway, I know they make NO SENSE to people that aren't familiar with them. But they really aren't that bad. OH and you aboslutley don't have to keep them on during sex lol! The church doesn't have guidelines for what couples do in the bedroom. That would be outragous!

If you guys have any other questions. Take Jodi's recommendation from one of her jailhouse interviews and visit lds.org lol.

Thread Information