Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Girl forced to marry at 9, murdered by parents after she sought annulment

Girl forced to marry at 9, murdered by parents after she sought annulment

Married at 9, slain by parents at 17
    By Bruce Loudon in Islamabad
    September 06, 2008 12:00am

DESPAIR among human rights workers in Pakistan over a rash of so-called "honour killings" intensified yesterday when it was disclosed that a girl forced into marriage with a 45-year-old man at the age of nine had been killed by her parents because she asked for an annulment.

The girl, 17, who had been fighting a lonely but successful legal battle, was coming out of court in the Punjabi city of Sahiwal after being granted the annulment by a judge when she was surrounded by a group of men and shot in view of police.

The death of Saira Nusrat Bibi has added further to concerns among human rights campaigners already outraged over the case of five women - among them three teenage schoolgirls - buried alive in the province of Baluchistan because they wanted to marry men of their choice in defiance of the wishes of tribal leaders.

The Baluchistan case was worsened by an attempt by a member of the country's national parliament, senator Israr Ullah Zehri, to defend it, telling colleagues that "these are centuries-old traditions and I will continue to defend them", The Weekend Australian reports.

Members of the religious Jamaat-e-Islami party rounded on Senator Zehi, declaring: "We condemn this barbaric act. This is against Islam, against humanity and against civilised culture."

Yesterday, the Government bowed to pressure and ordered an inquiry into the killings.

Details that have emerged from the village of Baba Kot in Baluchistan indicate that the three girls -- aged between 16 and 18 - and two of their elderly relatives were "shot at" before being buried alive.  :-o

"When the fuming elders of the Umrani tribe came to know about the intentions of these girls, they picked them up from their homes along with two of their elderly relatives," one account said.

"The crying girls were pushed into official cars and driven to a deserted area. There they were pushed out of the cars, made to stand in a queue, and volleys of shots fired at them. As the bleeding girls fell to the sand, the tribesmen dragged them into a nearby ditch and levelled it with earth and stones.

"As the two shocked elderly women tried to rescue the hapless girls, they too were gunned down and buried in the same manner. The killers after burying these women returned to their tribe like conquerors without any action taken against them."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24302102-401,00.html

Re: Girl forced to marry at 9, murdered by parents after she sought annulment

So, she was married for 8 years to a man almost 40 years her senior and then as soon as she gets out of that hell, she's murdered.  What a life.  Poor thing.  I wonder what kind of punishment these perpetrators of the "honour killings" are receiving.

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=16139.msg996883#msg996883 date=1220734666]
    So, she was married for 8 years to a man almost 40 years her senior and then as soon as she gets out of that hell, she's murdered.  What a life.  Poor thing.  I wonder what kind of punishment these perpetrators of the "honour killings" are receiving.
    [/quote]

The title is a little misleading...I was initially astounded that a 9 year old was pressing for an anulment :?

This just goes right along with what I was talking about yesterday with the 12 year old chinese boy. The cultures while the do have lots to offer, I just don't understand there beliefs and politcs on how they raise children. Arranged marriages are one thing, I get it, for the union of two powerful families. But you got to be out of your frickin' mind to be 45 and have  one with a 9 year old. When I think about her not knowing anything about sex and what was about to happen to her  I want to scream. That poor little girl and to spend 8 years of a sick perverted sweaty hog of a guy putting his hands all over her. 

R.I.P Saira Nusrat Bibi

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=16139.msg996898#msg996898 date=1220736678]
    The title is a little misleading...I was initially astounded that a 9 year old was pressing for an anulment :?
    [/quote]

I did think that but didn't have enough room to add she was 17 when she was killed 

She must have been waiting all those years to be free of him, i guess her family didn't even think for a second there was anything wrong with a 9 year old and a 40 year old..  :|

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=16139.msg996902#msg996902 date=1220736914]
    I did think that but didn't have enough room to add she was 17 when she was killed 

She must have been waiting all those years to be free of him, i guess her family didn't even think for a second there was anything wrong with a 9 year old and a 40 year old..  :|[/quote]

There all sick fucks. She probably started learning about the legal side of marriage at a very young age. By the time she was 17, she probably knew about every single anulment in her country, so determined, so passionate about a life away from these monsters. This is very sad. I'm just glad the powers that be gave her a brief few moments of happiness, A few where she won and was free. I would havee loved to have seen that smile.

How can you feel that strongly and end your own daughters life?

Ok, I get that it is extremely fucked up that a 9 yr old would be forced to marry a 40 yr old. I am disgusted by the murders of women who obviously did not deserve it.

However to refer to "everyone" as sick fucks is not right either, from the conception of their lives they are brought up in a different culture and taught things we could never imagine to be acceptable. It is no doubt wrong and horrible, but it is not the fault of an individual person. It is the fault of their society and I do not think they are all sick fucks, I would rather call them incredibly and horrendously misguided.

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=16139.msg996921#msg996921 date=1220740268]
    Ok, I get that it is extremely fucked up that a 9 yr old would be forced to marry a 40 yr old. I am disgusted by the murders of women who obviously did not deserve it.

However to refer to "everyone" as sick fucks is not right either, from the conception of their lives they are brought up in a different culture and taught things we could never imagine to be acceptable. It is no doubt wrong and horrible, but it is not the fault of an individual person. It is the fault of their society and I do not think they are all sick fucks, I would rather call them incredibly and horrendously misguided.
    [/quote]

I was refering to the Husband and the parents. all of them. And you should read my threads on the 12 year old chinese boy. I am Blaming society.

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=16139.msg996927#msg996927 date=1220740810]
    I was refering to the Husband and the parents. all of them. And you should read my threads on the 12 year old chinese boy. I am Blaming society.
    [/quote]

Oh, are you? Because the husband and parents are part of society and they too are victims of what they were told was "right"......

Oh, and I suggest everyone with presumptive opinions about other cultures watch the movie Bandit Queen. Phoolan Devi.... (i know it's wiki) but whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandit_Queen

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=16139.msg996929#msg996929 date=1220740910]
    Oh, are you? Because the husband and parents are part of society and they too are victims of what they were told was "right"......
    [/quote]

Hey my parents have many beliefs, they "tried" to instill in me. I make up my own mind. Don't come back with, it's different in thier society, and not as simple. I get it.

My point is, well it's really not even a point. I don't care what you've been taught, What drives a Man to Murder his own child, his daughter this day and age? that is sick period.

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=16139.msg996937#msg996937 date=1220741276]
    Hey my parents have many beliefs, they "tried" to instill in me. I make up my own mind. Don't come back with, it's different in thier society, and not as simple. I get it.

My point is, well it's really not even a point. I don't care what you've been taught, What drives a Man to Murder his own child, his daughter this day and age? that is sick period.
    [/quote]

But in our society it is NOT acceptable to murder your children or marry them off at 9 yrs old. However there are practices in our society that people in other countries might be equally disgusted by. It's ethnocentrism, and I'm not saying it's wrong or right, it just is.

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=16139.msg996941#msg996941 date=1220741551]
    But in our society it is NOT acceptable to murder your children or marry them off at 9 yrs old. However there are practices in our society that people in other countries might be equally disgusted by. It's ethnocentrism, and I'm not saying it's wrong or right, it just is.
    [/quote]

did the parents get away with it?

ETA: Well I guess i was so enraged by the story, I skipped the last paragraph. I still don't care.  especially when probably 90% of the worlds cultures would have to agree. it doesn't make me ethnocentric. I don't agree with a lot of the norms and "rights" in my society. I just know it's wrong to kill in vein, so some douche can bang his fists on his chest a little harder? and your own daughter at that?

I hope this story gets far more attention than just mydeathspace.

I understand the cultural argument; but, I believe that when a cultural norm affects the rights of another person, it should be challenged and abolished.  The practices of arranged marriages and honuor killings have oppressed women for centuries. 

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. 

To me, that says it all.  These rights belong to all humans, not only Americans, and no other human has a right to infringe on those rights even if it is under the guise of religion, culture, or government.

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

I understand where you're coming from, Femme. But these beliefs and behaviours have been practiced in that area of the world for far longer than America has even been an independent country. When something has been the norm for so very long, it's near impossible to change. There are many people fighting for religious freedom and women's rights in areas of the world such as the Middle East, but it's just such a difficult task to undertake because those values, or what we consider to be lack of values, are so entwined in the culture and history of these people. As Americans, we of course believe that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," but we have to also realize that that in itself is also a cultural belief.

[quote author=skindeep_curiosity link=topic=16139.msg996982#msg996982 date=1220745962]
    I understand where you're coming from, Femme. But these beliefs and behaviours have been practiced in that area of the world for far longer than America has even been an independent country. When something has been the norm for so very long, it's near impossible to change. There are many people fighting for religious freedom and women's rights in areas of the world such as the Middle East, but it's just such a difficult task to undertake because those values, or what we consider to be lack of values, are so entwined in the culture and history of these people. As Americans, we of course believe that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," but we have to also realize that that in itself is also a cultural belief.
    [/quote]

Tell that to the girl who was married to a man 40 years her senior and was shot as she walked down the stairs of the court house after being granted an annulment.

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=16139.msg996997#msg996997 date=1220746599]
    Tell that to the girl who was married to a man 40 years her senior and was shot as she walked down the stairs of the court house after being granted an annulment.
    [/quote]

I do not for one minute think that was a surprise to anyone in that country, and therein lies the difference.

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=16139.msg997012#msg997012 date=1220747458]
    I do not for one minute think that was a surprise to anyone in that country, and therein lies the difference.
    [/quote]

Maybe not, but that does not make it right nor does it make it acceptable.  I will never buy into the reasoning of "that's the way they've done it for hundreds of years, we should mind our own business" to turn a blind eye on human rights violations. 

What if the abolitionist did that to the South during slavery?  Do you think the South would have just one day said, slavery is wrong, we are not going to do it any more?  No, they made excuses for slavery because slavery fit their agenda. 

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=16139.msg997019#msg997019 date=1220747939]
    Maybe not, but that does not make it right nor does it make it acceptable.  I will never buy into the reasoning of "that's the way they've done it for hundreds of years, we should mind our own business" to turn a blind eye on human rights violations. 

What if the abolitionist did that to the South during slavery?  Do you think the South would have just one day said, slavery is wrong, we are not going to do it any more?  No, they made excuses for slavery because slavery fit their agenda. 

[/quote]

But the North did not just have one person fighting the South, it was SOCIETY who took a stand. 

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=16139.msg997062#msg997062 date=1220750969]
    But the North did not just have one person fighting the South, it was SOCIETY who took a stand. 
    [/quote]

First line says human rights workers. Protesting, intensified. I sm finally hearing about this story through the news. sounds like they are trying to make a stand

Once again this is when i wish a rich mogul would have rushed in and said, " forget the annulment. 1 million doollars, hop on that plane right now and never look back. Go wherever you want"

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=16139.msg997123#msg997123 date=1220758088]
    First line says human rights workers. Protesting, intensified. I sm finally hearing about this story through the news. sounds like they are trying to make a stand

Once again this is when i wish a rich mogul would have rushed in and said, " forget the annulment. 1 million doollars, hop on that plane right now and never look back. Go wherever you want"
    [/quote]

Not even one million dollars. Plane fare and a place to stay would suffice.

Fucking Muslim scum.

I have a daughter one year older than this girl was.  I can not even imagine doing something like this to a child.  They know it is wrong.  It has nothing to do with what they are taught.  If they did not have common knowledge of what mistreatment of a human being was then I could understand; however, it is these people that play up during attack time how many women and children we kill with our bombs.

Blah. 

RIP
    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

While I understand and respect what everyone is saying in this thread, and also understand the whole culture thing, blah blah blah....I don't care WHAT culture you are in, or having been brought up as....the bottom line is fairly simple...it is WRONG to kill your children..or kill period. The whole Honor killing thing is fucking stupid, always has been and always will be, and those fuckers know it's wrong but do it anyway. I'm so tired of hearing them say they had to do it to keep honor in the family...what the fuck kind of honor is that???! Fucking idiots.......geez I shouldn't have started typing...now I'm getting even more pissed off.UGH!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits "--

[quote author=BorderlineRetarded link=topic=16139.msg997240#msg997240 date=1220794233]
    While I understand and respect what everyone is saying in this thread, and also understand the whole culture thing, blah blah blah....I don't care WHAT culture you are in, or having been brought up as....the bottom line is fairly simple...it is WRONG to kill your children..or kill period. The whole Honor killing thing is fucking stupid, always has been and always will be, and those fuckers know it's wrong but do it anyway. I'm so tired of hearing them say they had to do it to keep honor in the family...what the fuck kind of honor is that???! Fucking idiots.......geez I shouldn't have started typing...now I'm getting even more pissed off.UGH!
    [/quote]

The concept of 'wrong' can be culturally relative in this case. Yes, in our Western society, killing your child is wrong, no matter if your child was a perfect little angel, or spawn from hell. But in Middle Eastern tradition society, it is wrong to put your own individual rights over collective rights, so by getting an annulment or wanting to marry the man of your choice, you are wronging the right to the honour of making sure that you are cared for that your family has.

Don't you see? It is not so much the people, but the framework of society. So sure, they may know that it isn't right to kill, but it is MORE wrong to have shame on your family.

/end international relations major rant.

You're like a hurricane to me: your violence is beautiful, your centre, so sweet.

Before the whole "its wrong to kill your child" there is strong questions. The girl was 9 when she was married off, she endured it untill she thought she was old enough to have her views respected. At 17, being married to this man for nearly 10 years it was the least she deserved. Culture or not where was her right to say "you have done this to me, i have lived with it and now i'm getting myself out of this"  Did the court she was getting her annulment through not see she needed protection?

Sahiwal, where she was killed-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahiwal

Not a backward place, full of schools of higher learning-

"Sahiwal houses several educational institutes of quality. Government High School, Government High School Urban Area, Comprehensive High School, and Government Pilot Higher Secondary School are the leading high schools of the city. Junior Model High School, Divisional Public School (DPS) and St. Mary's Convent School are also providing education. Government College for Women, Sahiwal, also contains the Baha-u-Deen Zikria University (BZU) sub-campus. One of the oldest Institutes in Commerce stream is the Government College of Commerce, Sahiwal.

A lot is being planned for the education sector in Sahiwal. BZU Multan is planning its separate sub-campus in Sahiwal, and land has been acquired for this purpose. It is hoped that the university will be complete in two years and will be called the 'University of Sahiwal'.

Virtual University has opened its private campus in Sahiwal, and offers distant learning programmes. It is situated near the government college in Sahiwal.

The sub-campus of COMSATS (an information technology and computer science college based in Lahore) has started classes in MBA and Computer Science.

The private sector is playing a major role in primary education: renowned schools in this regard are The Educators, The Beaconhouse School System, Bloom Field, The City School and Pre-Forces Cadet School. A new building of The City School is under construction in front of Comprehensive School Sahiwal. After completion it will be the largest private school campus in Sahiwal. Another new school established in 2007 is Dare-Aqram Model School [1]

The Educators College has separate campuses for boys and girls."

The "culture" get out is crap, i have travelled places and seen what people class as "cultural acts" can be dismissed by a high number of people within that commuity. Take something like FGM http://www.religioustolerance.org/fem_cirm.htm Some say its culture, some say its not, others say its out right abuse. All comments on people that have more or less been brought up in the same "culture"

Fact is this girl was murdered for living HER life and not the life her family forced her to live and i hope they pay high prices for the evil they put upon this girl.

r.i.p Saira

Thread Information