Thread: Brothers admit stealing body parts from 244 corpses

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Brothers admit stealing body parts from 244 corpses

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Two brothers who ran a funeral home and crematorium admitted Tuesday that they sold corpses to a company that trafficked stolen body parts, a macabre scheme that left families aghast and unclear about the fate of their loved ones.

Louis and Gerald Garzone pleaded guilty to charges including conspiracy, theft, abuse of corpse and welfare fraud.

The gruesome allegations read in court drew gasps, murmurs and tears from about two dozen people who had entrusted the bodies of their loved ones to the Garzones' facilities in Philadelphia.

The brothers allowed at least 244 corpses to be carved up without families' permission and without medical tests, prosecutors said. Skin, bones, tendons and other parts -- some of them diseased -- were then sold around the country for dental implants, knee and hip replacements, and other procedures.

Some bodies were only torsos by the time the hacking was done, said Assistant District Attorney Evangelia Manos.

The mastermind of the scheme, Michael Mastromarino, pleaded guilty Friday to hundreds of charges that could send him to prison for life. He is already serving 18 to 54 years for running the scam in New York.

Mastromarino's company, New Jersey-based Biomedical Tissue Services, took bodies from funeral homes in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Among the corpses plundered was that of veteran BBC broadcaster and "Masterpiece Theatre" host Alistair Cooke.

In Philadelphia, he paid the Garzones and their partner, James McCafferty, more than $245,000 for at least 244 cadavers between February 2004 and October 2005, prosecutors said.

Mastromarino would then send a "cutting" crew, led by former nurse Lee Cruceta, to Philadelphia to dissect the bodies. Cruceta pleaded guilty in January to abusing corpses and other charges; McCafferty pleaded guilty last month to conspiracy and theft charges.

The tissue plundered from a single body often fetched about $4,000, and Mastromarino made millions from the scheme, prosecutors said.

Authorities were able to identify only 49 of the 244 bodies, since the scam entailed falsifying names, ages and causes of death to disguise corpses that were too old or too diseased to be harvested legally. The Garzones burned their records in the crematorium when investigators started asking questions, Manos said.

One of the harvested bodies was that of Lois Elder, 58, of Philadelphia, who died of complications from a stroke in April 2005, said Taya Elder, her daughter.

Elder, 39, said she is glad to be spared a trial. Even though she heard many of the chilling details during the grand jury investigation that led to the indictments, listening to them again in court Tuesday brought her to tears.

"It took me for a loop," Elder said. "It really is shocking."

Her mother was supposed to be cremated. Today, Elder said she can only assume the ashes she has are what was left of mother's body after the cutting crew finished its work.

Article continues:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/09/02/philly.body.parts.ap/index.html

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

Re: Brothers admit stealing body parts from 244 corpses

I was kinda hoping that the article would continue on to explain that the brothers built their own human body with the body parts that they had stolen, as opposed to actually trafficking them. I think that would've been a lot more exciting to read about.

deliberate_misuse

Ew. I have cadaver bone in my spine.

What sort of doctor uses stolen body parts anyway  :|

[quote author=ashleigh_jessica_xx link=topic=16092.msg993871#msg993871 date=1220513470]
    What sort of doctor uses stolen body parts anyway  :|
    [/quote]

Frankenstein!  :lol:

Seriously though, that's disgusting. How could they look those grieving families in the eye, then turn around and betray them with something as sacred as preparing a body for burial? Sick. And they even sold diseased body parts! Ugh. I hope they get the book thrown at them and spend a good, long time in jail. Hopefully life for Mastromarino. And I wish that whenever they die, that their bodies could be thrown to the wolves. 
    Try to realize it&#39;s all within yourself. No one else can make you change. And to see you&#39;re really only very small. And life flows on within you and without you.<br /><br />--George Harrison--

I dont care if you hack up my dead body and sell it, but at least give my family the money.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

oh. my. god&nbsp; :-o

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=16092.msg993520#msg993520 date=1220485762]
    [/quote]

I worked for an orthopedic surgeon and cadaver grafts are used for a lot of things but I never gave much thought to where they actually come from. Just your normal average organ donor I guess? I always think of hearts, lungs, eyes, stuff like that when I think of organ donors.

It's really sad that they did this with untested organs. The people who receive them could die because they got a tainted ligament or something. Then the doctor, hospital, everyone down the line will be sued. I wonder how they got them &quot;on the market?&quot;
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=16092.msg993520#msg993520 date=1220485762]
    [/quote]

WHAT??? Seriously??? That would make the best morbid conversation piece ever, I'm so jealous. So what do I have to do to get one of those in my spine? 8-)

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=XxImSoVaInxX link=topic=16092.msg996747#msg996747 date=1220721355]
    WHAT??? Seriously??? That would make the best morbid conversation piece ever, I'm so jealous. So what do I have to do to get one of those in my spine? 8-)
    [/quote]

Easy.&nbsp; Get a bone tumor!

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=16092.msg997124#msg997124 date=1220758497]
    Easy.&nbsp; Get a bone tumor!
    [/quote]

I just put that on my list of things to do!

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

[quote author=ashleigh_jessica_xx link=topic=16092.msg993871#msg993871 date=1220513470]
    What sort of doctor uses stolen body parts anyway&nbsp; :|
    [/quote]

A doctor who wants to pay the least amount of money for medical specimins, then get the most amount of money for doing the surgery.

Thread Information