Thread: Emma Casey (15) committed suicide by jumping in front of a train

Emma Casey (15) committed suicide by jumping in front of a train

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2008/06/08/Emma_Casey_(15)_committed_suicide_by_jumping_in_fr ont_of_a_train

Seems like she was a very interesting girl, suicide by train seems so harsh.

From an article interviewing her cousin (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/13/in_terms_of_popularity_casey_runs_unopposed?mode=P F)

But while Casey waited outside the clubhouse, there was no Uncle John. He checked his cellphone and realized his wife, Mandi, had tried to call him numerous times. He called her back. "Are you sitting down?" she said. "Emma committed suicide."

Emma was Casey's youngest cousin, a 15-year-old who that day had sat down in the path of an oncoming subway train, her back turned to the onrushing lights. Uncle John, Emma's father, had received that news in a call from his son on his way into the ballpark.

"That was one of the toughest nights of my life," Casey said. "One of my worst moments ever, and it was at Fenway Park. The next day I told [manager Dave] Miley that I didn't think I could play in the field because my mind was a wreck. I DH'd; that game was like a fog. Everybody loved Emma. She'd just come down to visit us that spring in our house in Jupiter [Fla.]."

Re: Emma Casey (15) committed suicide by jumping in front of a train

[quote author=odonata_68 link=topic=14592.msg884795#msg884795 date=1212956826]

Seems like she was a very interesting girl, suicide by train seems so harsh. [/quote]

It does seem harsh.

Strike that, it is harsh.

My husband is a railroad engineer.  He says it is becoming very commonplace for folks to commit "suicide by train".  It takes an average freight train at least one mile to stop (even when you apply the emergency brakes), so even when the crew sees someone/something on the tracks, there is literally nothing they can do.

These events are very hard on the train crew members, though.  Particularly the conductor on a freight train because he has to get off and find the person so all the proper notifications can be made.  They have counseling available if they need it but it still can mess with their minds.

RIP Emma - I'm sorry life was too hard for you. 
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

She does look like a very interesting girl; a lot of her pictures are beautiful.

I'm also extremely curious about this "Michelle" person in the first of her pictures-- I wonder who she was and how she died.  Something about that "RIP Michelle" picture is haunting to me.

My brother's friend committed suicide like Emma did when he was 16. He had to be ID'd through dental records.

RIP Emma. It's a shame you felt that you had no other option.

[quote author=SignoraAly link=topic=14592.msg884859#msg884859 date=1212961571]
    I'm also extremely curious about this "Michelle" person in the first of her pictures-- I wonder who she was and how she died.  Something about that "RIP Michelle" picture is haunting to me.
    [/quote]

I am curious also, her quote below it that states she's not sure if she will ever be able to let it go.  Looked around and didn't find anything about her.

what does "i DH'ed" mean? RIP Emma

i thought maybe michelle was one of the other students that jumped in front of one of the trains but on Emma's page it says "R.I.P Michelle-10/8/04" but the other girl was killed in novemeber 2004.

either way its still so tragic.

RIP Emma.

[quote author=schroederino link=topic=14592.msg885377#msg885377 date=1212988710]
    what does "i DH'ed" mean? RIP Emma
    [/quote]

I believe he means he played "Designated Hitter" in a baseball game, he refers to Fenway so that's where I got it. 
    born to be down

I remember hearing about this - I'm a big dork and love baseball and Sean Casey's one of my favorite players (my dog's name is Casey :2grin:)

Death by train just seems so brutal.  I know it's just a second but good god that second would just seem horrific. Poor girl - only 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Huh? you're a woman?

ah! thanks SOLARA! that is obvious to me know. i guess i was somehow trying to relate it to something having to do with her jumping and totally blanked that he was a player. she was a super cutie. so sad.

"to see a world in a grain of sand
    and a heaven in a wild flower,
    hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour."

i will always love you emma. i'm starring at your memorial card right now. i will never forget being with you earlier that day. i will never forget finding out the news. i will not forget the following day when i broke down in the middle of the stairwell. i will never forget your service i will never forget "both hands" being played. i will never forget signing how i thought you were going to be the one to change the world. i will never forget you emma, i could never forget.

[quote author=toseeaworld link=topic=14592.msg1048616#msg1048616 date=1224619016]
    "to see a world in a grain of sand
    and a heaven in a wild flower,
    hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour."

i will always love you emma. i'm starring at your memorial card right now. i will never forget being with you earlier that day. i will never forget finding out the news. i will not forget the following day when i broke down in the middle of the stairwell. i will never forget your service i will never forget "both hands" being played. i will never forget signing how i thought you were going to be the one to change the world. i will never forget you emma, i could never forget.
    [/quote]

So sorry for your loss, toseeaworld.  If you ever want to post here about her, feel free.  We would love to know more about her.  RIP Emma.
    born to be down

Suicide by train sadly seems to be quite an often reoccurring form of personal demise on this site. I'm not sure exactly how many - but over the few years Ive been a member on MDS ... it's seems to have staggered quickly in numbers :/
    Bwahahahaha !!!

This is just terrible, if anyone has seen the movie Hostel, there was an asian girl that jumped in front of a train towards the end, it is just brutal, what a way to go.

[quote author=pretty1 link=topic=14592.msg1101569#msg1101569 date=1228249709]
    This is just terrible, if anyone has seen the movie Hostel, there was an asian girl that jumped in front of a train towards the end, it is just brutal, what a way to go.
    [/quote]

I remember that, it was right at the end. I would hope that death by jumping in front of a train would come pretty quick, because I imagine if you get hit by a train and survive it would be pretty painful.

Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

Thread Information