A 22-year-old woman whose symptoms were dismissed as food poisoning died just days after she was struck down with meningococcal.

Jacqueline Conticello, from Western Australia, was left bed bound after she started experiencing vomiting, diarrhoea and a sore ankle on November 23.

But just four days later, her distraught parents Christine and Amleto Conticello found their daughter dead in her bed, The West Australian reported.

'I rang the ambulance and it was time to give her CPR but I knew she was already gone,' Mr Conticello told 7 News.

The woman, who lived with one of her four brothers in Perth, had left work early because she was feeling ill.

Her parents said they initially considered taking her to hospital but decided to wait because they assumed she just had food poisoning.

'[This is] something that will haunt me for the rest of my life,' her father said.

Unaware she had contracted the deadly disease, the family stopped by her home several times over the weekend to make sure she was well.

As the family prepare for their first Christmas without her, the parents have called on the government to provide free vaccinations against all strains of the disease

When the family checked up on her on Sunday morning, Jacqueline showed signs of improvement so they were not concerned.

But by the afternoon, the healthy and active woman was found dead.

As the family prepare for their first Christmas without her, the parents have called on the government to provide free vaccinations against all strains of the disease.

'I know it's a lot of money but the life of our daughter... I would give everything I own, even my life, to save her,' Mr Conticello said.

By sharing their story, the family wanted to warn other parents of the symptoms of the disease that claimed their daughter's life.