submit a death
Shayla Ream (19) died after she huffed Dust-Off
Published: Jan 07, 2014 @ 7:10 PM
Shayla Ream (19)
Dec 14, 2013
Cause of Death:
view their profile
Shayla Ream's family found her unconscious in her bedroom December 13.
Her grandfather attempted CPR until medics arrived.
The 19-year-old died at the hospital early the next morning.
Her older sister Cassandra spoke to KVAL News on Friday at services for her sister.
"I wouldn't want this to happen to anybody else," Cassandra said. "I really care about other people and for their sake and I know that my sister would care about them."
The family believes Shayla collapsed and vomited after inhaling compressed gas to get high. Doctors confirmed the suspicion.
"It coated her lungs as she huffed the inhalant called Dust-Off," Cassandra said. "When that happened it left no more oxygen to her brain, which shut off all of her organs. And it only happened in a matter of minutes."
Cassandra agreed to talk about her sister's death in hopes that other kids don't make the same mistake.
Statistic for huffing deaths are not very accurate because huffing deaths are often attributed to something else.
The studies that have been done indicate girls are more likely than boys to try huffing - and the younger the person, the higher the incidence of huffing.
Kids sometimes seek out inhalants because they are sold over the counter at stores for legitimate uses.
But federal health officials say huffing can be fatal - even the first time.
"She was in her first semester of LCC, and then she was trying to become a wedding planner," Cassandra said. "She was starting to become somebody. She was on the right track to go somewhere and be somebody."
go back to article archive list
article loaded in 16 ms
Michael Marquez (22) was robbed and killed for his smartphone
There's shock and grief in a quiet San Francisco neighborhood after a group robbed and killed a young man over a smartphone. The victim died just after midnight on Monday at Henry and Noe streets.
Haley Bryan (17) overdosed on painkillers
Haley Jane Bryan, 17, of Clay City, died Jan. 1, 2010, at St. Vincent Clay Hospital's emergency room. She was born May 1, 1992, in Vigo County, the daughter of William "Chip" Bryan Jr. and Lisa Jane Griffith Bryan.
Hugh Marquez (22) died after a party and his cause of death hasn't been released
Former American Canyon resident Army Spec. Hugh Marquez, Jr., 22, survived tours in Iraq and Afghanistan only to die of as-yet unknown causes after a party near his base in Fort Riley, Kansas, authorities said.
Christian Andrae (23) died after he was ejected from his vehicle during an accident
A 23-year-old man was killed early Monday in a one-vehicle crash off state Route 22/322 in Middle Paxton Township, Dauphin County, state police reported.
Rachel Ulrich (17) died after a battle with melanoma
Ulrich, Rachel L. age 17, of Lakeville. Our beloved warrior princess was carried to heaven by the angels and joined Jesus on April 24, 2012, following a courageous 2-year battle with melanoma.v
Copyright © 2009 MyDeathSpace.com