submit a death
Shayla Ream (19) died after she huffed Dust-Off
Published: Jan 07, 2014 @ 7:10 PM
Shayla Ream (19)
Dec 14, 2013
Cause of Death:
view their profile
Shayla Ream's family found her unconscious in her bedroom December 13.
Her grandfather attempted CPR until medics arrived.
The 19-year-old died at the hospital early the next morning.
Her older sister Cassandra spoke to KVAL News on Friday at services for her sister.
"I wouldn't want this to happen to anybody else," Cassandra said. "I really care about other people and for their sake and I know that my sister would care about them."
The family believes Shayla collapsed and vomited after inhaling compressed gas to get high. Doctors confirmed the suspicion.
"It coated her lungs as she huffed the inhalant called Dust-Off," Cassandra said. "When that happened it left no more oxygen to her brain, which shut off all of her organs. And it only happened in a matter of minutes."
Cassandra agreed to talk about her sister's death in hopes that other kids don't make the same mistake.
Statistic for huffing deaths are not very accurate because huffing deaths are often attributed to something else.
The studies that have been done indicate girls are more likely than boys to try huffing - and the younger the person, the higher the incidence of huffing.
Kids sometimes seek out inhalants because they are sold over the counter at stores for legitimate uses.
But federal health officials say huffing can be fatal - even the first time.
"She was in her first semester of LCC, and then she was trying to become a wedding planner," Cassandra said. "She was starting to become somebody. She was on the right track to go somewhere and be somebody."
go back to article archive list
article loaded in 0 ms
James Maday (35) died after huffing Dust Off and he was found with a can of it in his hand
My son died on September 19th, 2016. He was a Navy veteran, a Cryptologist. A sweet, loving human, he came back from Iraq another person.
Zacharey Camarena (17) overdosed on methadone
Memorial services for Zacharey Camarena-Sanders, 17, of Sallisaw will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, March 8, 2013, at First Assembly of God Church in Sallisaw.
Erich Hollenweger (26) died from a heroin overdose
I lost my son to accidental heroin overdose on June 6 of this year. I have been going to Grief Recovery After A Substance Passing (GRASP), a support group specifically dedicated to loss relating to substance abuse.
Jillian Webster (29) took her own life
Jillian S. Webster Beloved daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece and friend;
Megan Zipperer (25) died after a battle with cervical cancer
"I'm back at square one of begging and pleading for you to pray for my family. Pray for my husband, my kids … my kids. I was so excited because before my appointment today, I went and got them winter clothes and was like, 'These clothes are gonna fit them next winter' … next winter …"
Copyright © 2009 MyDeathSpace.com