A 17-year-old accused of killing his stepsister pointed a 12-gauge shotgun at her and pulled the trigger, then dragged her outside and told police she was the victim of a drive-by shooting, court records show.

Jonathan Ian Morales had been playing around with a friend who had spent the night at the family's home on Michelle Drive on May 30 and asked his friend to lie to police about how it happened, according to a Biloxi police investigator's sworn statement.

Sadie Warden, 13, died of a gunshot wound to the chest.

Morales faces a charge of manslaughter by culpable negligence. He waived the right to a preliminary hearing Wednesday. He had been held at the Harrison County jail on a $250,000 bond but has received a bond reduced to $35,000.

The case will be presented to a grand jury.

"You cannot point a firearm, even an unloaded firearm, at a person," said Herman Cox, Harrison County prosecuting attorney.

According to court papers, Morales and his friend had been playing Xbox and hitting each other with flip flops and wrestling when Morales told him he had something to show him. The boy later told police Morales came out of his parents' bedroom with a shotgun, and pointed it at him, saying, "I'm gonna shoot you."

The friend reportedly said he grabbed the barrel of the gun, put it to his head, and told Morales he didn't have the guts to shoot him. The friend left as police arrived, but later told police Morales pumped the gun and pointed it at Warden as she sat on the floor in her bedroom.

The shooting was reported about 11 a.m. Investigators said Morales at first told police his stepsister was the victim of a drive-by shooting and gave them the description of the shooter and his vehicle.

Police said Morales later told them he didn't know the gun was loaded and he only intended to scare Warden. Court papers show he told investigators he pulled her body outside so police would be able to find them more quickly.

Police said Morales admitted telling his friend to lie, and said he was scared and didn't know what to do.

Justice Court Judge Albert Fountain agreed to reduce Morales' bond Wednesday at the request of Morales' attorney, Rufus Alldredge. But he forbid Morales from having any contact with Warden's biological father and grandparents.

Warden had completed the seventh grade at Biloxi Junior High, where she played first base for the varsity baseball team. She also was a horse lover and a member of the Dixie National Trail Riders.

The maximum penalty for manslaughter is 20 years in prison.