A young man who reportedly admitted to stabbing his teenage victim more than 80 times is now facing the death penalty.

The district attorney's death penalty committee met on Thursday, deciding to seek capital punishment for 19-year-old Javier Righetti.

Righetti has allegedly confessed to stalking Alyssa Otremba as she was walking home on September 2. He then allegedly kidnapped her, raped her and tormented her as he stabbed the teen again and again.

Otremba's burned body was found in desert lot near Grand Teton and Oso Blanca the following day. According to documents, Righetti admitted to setting her on fire in an effort to cover up the crime.

Righetti is due to be arraigned in district court on Thursday, Oct. 20 at 8:30 a.m.

Righetti was indicted last week on charges of robbery, kidnapping, sexual assault and murder- all with a deadly weapon- in the killing of Otremba.

Righetti also faces charges related to a prior attack on a different young girl in March. That victim, another 15-year-old, survived after reportedly being kidnapped, raped and strangled.

Clark County District Attorney David Roger says filing for the death penalty was an objective decision.

"We look at some very technical issues when we're deciding to seek the death penalty," explained Roger. "This is an important decision that we make as an office. We're dealing with whether someone ultimately lives or dies."

Roger points to a number of aggravating circumstances that exist in the case, including allegations that Righetti stabbed his victim 80 times and then went back to burn the body with gasoline.

"As a human being, as a father of a daughter, certainly I can emphathize with the decedants family. They've lost a loved one in a very violent and tragic way," added Roger.

Roger said he'd like to see the case tried within the next six months but acknowledged that murder cases can often be drawn out.

A man inside Righetti's home on Thursday afternoon did not want to talk about the fact that the 19-year-old could end up on death row.

"Dude just get out of here please," he said. "No comment, please, go away, my girlfriend is having a hard time dealing with this!"

A woman who has lived near Righetti for 11 years claims the crime has forced her to reflect on the past.

"My daughter was in the same class with him in elementary school, and they had to evacuate the classroom a couple of times because of him throwing desks. He was an angry kid. He did hit her in the back too when they were playing baseball with a baseball bat," explained neighbor Kristin Piranio.

Kristin Piranio describes Righetti at his worst when he returned home from boot camp at the beginning of this past summer. She says his parents were away in Mexico when Otremba's murder happened.

"He went to my daugher's birthday parties. He swam in our pool. He jumped on our trampoline as a kid," said Piranio. "And then he grows up to do that. That's crazy."

Righetti is currently being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

According to David Roger, the Clark County DA's office approves roughly 33 % of death eligible cases. That averages out to be about 10 to 14 capital cases per year.

Even if Javier Righetti is convicted, it's unlikely that he would ever be put to death.

Statistics show that Nevada has executed 12 people in the past 35 years. Nevada has not put an inmate to death since 2006.

Currently, 88 convicted murderers sit in Nevada's death row. All have appeals pending.