Two missing Wakpala teenagers whose bodies were discovered Sunday loved listening to their iPods and hanging out with their friends, a school official said Monday.

Mariah Roundtree, 17, and Jalen Mellette, 16, were last seen alive more than two weeks ago. Their bodies were found early Sunday evening, according to Standing Rock police chief Mike Hayes.

Francine Hall, principal at Wakpala High School, told the Aberdeen American News that the 17-year-old Mariah Roundtree and 16-year-old Jalen Mellette were good kids who will be greatly missed by students and staff. Both were juniors at the school.

"I knew that when I greeted them both, I would receive a respectful and cheery response," Hall said.

Hayes said the causes of death are still unknown and autopsies are scheduled to be performed. He expected more information to be released tomorrow.

The teens disappeared Feb. 8. Authorities and volunteers from South Dakota and Wyoming joined in a concentrated effort a week later, searching by plane, ATV and on foot.

The teens' abandoned car was located last week, stuck in mud on a private dirt road about 15 miles from where they were last seen on Promise Road.

It was cold and raining hard the night they were traveling and neither teen was dressed for cold weather. Mariah was five months pregnant, according to her mother, Rhonda Roundtree.

Hayes and other officers spent most of the day Monday at the Wakpala school, offering grief counseling and support.

"There were some emotions this morning," he said.

Hall said Hayes planned to tell students and staff that no foul play was suspected. She said both teens will be remembered positively.

Mellette was an honor student with excellent school attendance, who played on the varsity boys basketball team.

"He was a respectful student to adults who work at the school and to his peers," Hall said. "He was somewhat of a jokester as well. ...Jalen trusted adults and was comfortable asking questions to find the answers."

Roundtree moved to Wakpala last spring from Milwaukee.

"(She) was not a happy camper having been uprooted from family and friends and a familiar school, but she made friends and by the start of school in the fall. She and Jalen were going together," Hall said. "Her happiness showed on her face. ...Staff here at the school have remarked that what they will remember about Mariah is that she had a sweet smile."

Mobridge Police Chief Mike Nehls said the Northern Oahe Rescue team was involved in the efforts Sunday.

"Sunday was a difficult day for everyone," he said. "It's not the outcome we were wanting. I can't imagine what the family is going through."