Police are pursuing what one Dayton detective described as leads in a double shooting following a stop-the-violence vigil that left one man dead and another wounded.

The dead man, 34-year-old Dwight Hardy of Trotwood, was identified by several people at the scene as the father of the teen for whom the vigil was held.

As many as 50 people, including family and friends of slain 16-year-old Kendrick Javon Pope, gathered at the old Jefferson Primary School on Tuesday evening, Sept. 16, to hold a peace-and-prayer vigil for Pope and the community.

Near the end of the gathering - which occurred on what would have been Pope's 17th birthday - gunfire was heard a few blocks away, killing Hardy and injuring Augustine O. Ubaike Jr., 23, police said.

Ubaike and Hardy were in a gray Cadillac at the time of the shooting, and police found Hardy's body partially out of the car, Sgt. Wendy Stiver said.

Detective Gary Engel said police found an assault rifle at the scene and no arrests have been made, but some leads were developed from interviews done at the scene. He was not specific about the nature of those leads.

The vigil was held on the eve of the funeral for Pope, who was gunned down Thursday, Sept. 11, behind the former school, where he was stripped of his pants and shoes before he was shot as many as 11 times in the chest and torso, homicide Sgt. Gary White has said.

Pope's mother, Kenya Pope, said she and others attending the vigil heard gunfire near the end of the event and left the scene. They had just released balloons, she said.

"We wanted to let people know the violence needs to stop," she said. "We can't lose our young generation like this."

Police were dispatched about 6:49 p.m. to the 1200 block of Catalpa. Hardy, who had been shot in the torso, died at the scene.

Ubaike, who was shot in the shoulder and leg, was taken to a local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.

Wednesday, detectives were sorting out the connection between the vigil and the shooting, which was the city's 31st homicide this year. It also continued heavy violence in the city's Fifth Police District, to which Police Chief Richard Biehl has directed extra manpower in the past few weeks.

Hardy's killing was the third in the area of the 500 block of Oxford Avenue in less than a month. Michelle Traylor, 46, was shot and killed Aug. 25 while on the front porch of her home at 530 Oxford Ave. Her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend also were shot, but survived.

No arrests have been made in the shooting of Pope or Traylor, police said.